General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Tue 09-Jun-15 10:51:34
Print Post

Strange, regular bursts on BQM

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

Since moving to BT Fibre, I've noticed that the BQM for my line seems to experience strange bursts of 'usage' every 2.5 hours.

BQM image

Concerned by this, I've tried switching everything on the network (computers, devices, phones etc) off... but the bursts still happen.

Switching off the router's (Billion 8800NL) WiFi, and unplugging all Ethernet cables makes no difference either.

Is it the router itself? The connection/ISP? Should I be concerned?

- Richard

Pipex > Zen > Be > iDNet > Freeola > Zen > BT Infinity 1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Jun-15 10:16:22
Print Post

Re: Strange, regular bursts on BQM

[re: rich_jtg] [link to this post]

Could be the router, but looks a long time for a memory garbage collection or similar.

Trick would be to have a ping running at the same time and see how that is affecting. ICMP echo gets a low priority, so some routers do exhibit odd patterns sometimes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Sat 20-Jun-15 12:23:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean regarding have a ping running. Would this be incoming or outgoing? Is there a service or program I can use to automate this?

I have been monitor the connection with both DSLStats (there doesn't appear to be any traffic corresponding to the bursts) and via f8lure (the activity shown again doesn't seem to correspond).

- Richard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Jun-15 15:11:50
Print Post

A ping -t www.thinkbroadband.com from the DOS command line is the basic, sends ping out and gets response back and if the times it is bad coincide with when the BQM or f8lure graphs says it is bad then you have a real issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Jun-15 22:05:40
Print Post

I am getting just the same after switching to fibre just over a week ago. Also running the Billion 8800NL nightmare combination modem/router. It wrecked my connection in standalone mode, so now back to the OR modem and slow stabilization. Found many bad reports on the 8800NL online. All complaining of lots of errors and regular latency spikes. I can also confirm rubbish Wireless that others report 6db down (75%) on my Billion 7800N
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/bcbe98a3e30...

We are not alone!
http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t...

I can confirm that 2.32d.dh14. does NOT sort it as stated on the Billion site. Mine was running that version. Now on 2.32e.afw.
Billion forum sates problem goes if wireless switched off. Not tried that yet, but switched from WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK in order to get a phone to connect. This has changed the 2.5 hour latency spikes. Every third one is a 5 hour space, then it follows on with two of the usual 2.5 hour spaced spikes.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 20-Jun-15 23:31:28)

Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Sun 21-Jun-15 12:55:27
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Thanks for your replies Andrew and professor...

@Andrew - I've been using Pingplotter overnight to ping the BBC's site, and like the other tests, didn't see anything correlating with the spikes.

@prof - Thanks for wireless explanation. At least I now know I'm not alone or going paranoid.

I'm a bit puzzled why I still got the spikes when I switched off the Wi-Fi using the 2.32d FW, but will try again tonight now I've upgraded to 2.32e.

It looks like it's the dh65 variant of 2.32d that solves the issue, but that version is still unofficial.

Otherwise, I haven't had any other issues using the 8800NL as a modem/router *touch wood*, and the wireless has been good enough for my limited needs, though I too had to mess around to get it to play nice with a (Samsung?) phone.

My only other option is a HH5a, but I've always been a bit wary of using ISP-supplied hardware - even if I don't know why!

- Richard

Edited by rich_jtg (Sun 21-Jun-15 12:57:43)

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Jun-15 13:49:47
Print Post

Wonder if you have a link to the beta as cannot remember my Billion user details and a bit long winded to sign up again. Can't find a download anywhere else.

Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Sun 21-Jun-15 13:55:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Wonder if you have a link to the beta as cannot remember my Billion user details and a bit long winded to sign up again. Can't find a download anywhere else.

Linky

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Jun-15 14:04:55
Print Post

Many thanks, though I had just got back into the forum. Little use though, as not only has the beta been pulled due to a problem, Billion are admitting faulty hardware, which is a little worrying. May just as well use the OR modem into my Billion 7800N and get a refund.
http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t...

Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Sun 21-Jun-15 14:42:57
Print Post

I see.

Interesting that they still don't appear to mention anywhere what the hardware fault is.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to