General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User djheaps
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-15 11:17:19
Print Post

BQM shows 100% Packet Loss but Connection is Up

[link to this post]

I had a Virgin Media outage earlier this morning so I checked BQM to see how long it was down for. As per the linked graph
there was an outage of around 30mins at approx. 7.15am.

The chart also shows ongoing 100% packet loss from around 9.15am. However the network and router is up (in fact I am posting this from the same network connection).

I used the site ping.eu to check that the router can be successfully pinged from an external address. As results below show the results are consistent with the average latency shown on the BQM.

packets transmitted 4
received 4
packet loss 0 %
time 3003 ms

--- Round Trip Time (rtt) ---
min 31.944 ms
avg 32.783 ms
max 33.569 ms
mdev 0.725 ms

I have checked a few random prior days on BQM and cannot find any other instances of this. Any idea what may be going on here?

Edited by djheaps (Fri 31-Jul-15 11:18:30)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Jul-15 11:51:48
Print Post

Re: BQM shows 100% Packet Loss but Connection is Up

[re: djheaps] [link to this post]

DDoS protection kicking in on the router, since we are pinging with 28 bytes on a very regular basis.

Sometimes restarting superhubs kicks them back into life for BQM monitoring.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User djheaps
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-15 12:40:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The Superhub is in modem mode so shouldn't be influencing this.

Behind this is an ASUS-RT-AC68U as router which is set to respond to Ping. Just rebooted the router but unfortunately this made no difference.

I don't know if it's significant but it turns out that I also cannot connect in the opposite direction.

E.g I cannot ping the thinkbroadband pingbox (80.249.99.164) from my router or from any device behind the router. However I can ping it successfully from ping.eu.

Same with traceroute - I can trace route from ping.eu to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com but if I do the same from my router it gets as far as the penultimate hop (te1-1-1-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net) but won't reach the thinkbroadband server.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Jul-15 17:33:14
Print Post

[re: djheaps] [link to this post]

Asus devices usually have a ddos setting turning this off may change things

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to