General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User filbert42
(newbie) Tue 08-Dec-15 09:45:42
Print Post

Lots of yellow all of a sudden & all might

[link to this post]

For some reason, my ping monitor suddenly went almost completely yellow at about 9pm last night. There's only two if us in the house and we weren't doing anything apart from maybe a bit of surfing and some emails. Anyway, it went on all night and is still going at 10 am the next day. The only things running at night are a Synology NAS and a Win 10 desktop system that collects email and probably had Firefox running. (as well as DSLStats)

My Broadband Ping

Any suggestions as to what to look for???
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Dec-15 11:45:57
Print Post

Re: Lots of yellow all of a sudden & all might

[re: filbert42] [link to this post]

The average latency is also increased (and there was a distinct drop in activity for 1 hour between 10am and 11am today.

Remote access to the NAS maybe? Or online cloud backups. Windows 10 downloads arriving automatically?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 08-Dec-15 13:07:45
Print Post

Re: Lots of yellow all of a sudden & all might

I see your MyDslWebStats is showing a large number of Error Seconds so you could have a bad line which would be impacting your connection.

Is your phone line noisy?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User filbert42
(newbie) Thu 17-Dec-15 19:43:29
Print Post

Re: Lots of yellow all of a sudden & all night

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have been doing some testing by turning everything off and then back on again after a period. There are only two devices that are normally always on - the pc and the NAS.

The activity drops off when they are both power down. I think it's the PC that is the source but the activity doesn't restart immediately, so I am not 100% sure yet. I wasn't careful enough in my testing.

I have also found (since I installed the dsl stats program and can track download volumes) that I have downloaded some 60 Gb in less than a week. That's my normal monthly amount, maybe even more. I suspect malware of some sort and I have left the PC off-line and the virus checker running to see what it finds. I'll report back when I know more.

What on earth is being downloaded, I don't know. (it isn't Windows 10 as that's already installed on the PC). I haven't done the obvious thing and looked for newly changed files yet. (I'm away a lot at the moment and have limited time to pursue this).

Thanks for the suggestions

Edited by filbert42 (Thu 17-Dec-15 19:44:12)

Standard User filbert42
(newbie) Thu 17-Dec-15 19:49:51
Print Post

PS: You can see what happened when I turned thngs off yesterday AM:

My Broadband Ping 16th Dec
Standard User clivers
(newbie) Sat 19-Dec-15 20:20:37
Print Post

It could be Windows 10 and is updating other peoples machine via the peer to peer updating built into it now.
Have a look here.
http://microsoft-news.com/windows-10-is-delivering-u...

Edited by clivers (Sat 19-Dec-15 20:23:07)

Print Thread

Jump to