General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User VeritasUK
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:14:15
Print Post

Puzzling Internet Issue

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I signed up here because i Googled "Best Internet problem solving forum" so firstly, well done all!

The Situation:

I have had Virgin media for 3 years in my home, i had the 120mb line and i was receiving exactly such downstairs for 2+ years when connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

I then have a couple of Powerline Adapters (Homeplugs) providing me wired and wireless signals upstairs.

The downstairs speeds we're fine, at 126mbps (consistently over a series of tests) and upstairs i can appreciate that the signal would be lower, as A. its over adapters, and B. i had them (knowingly) set up wrong.. into extensions etc. (I had no other choice due to cable lengths and whatnot) and they were pulling in a consistent 37mbps. (which even though lower, massively more than i need for hours of consistent PC Gaming/Netflix/iPad you get the picture.

The Problem:

I recently 'pinged out' from a server (999 ping, andmuch to my dismay was kicked from the game)
After this, my internet has been tremendously poor.
Now, upstairs i'm getting 1.0 - 1.6mbps!! Of course.. Process of elimination kicks in and you start to search for the problem, So I:
Changed the Powerline Adapters for new ones (Not the issue)
Changed the connectivity and cables for new ones (Not the issue)
Changed the PC (Assuming network card, registry problem) (Not the issue)
Changed the sockets in which the home plugs we're connected (Not the issue)
Changed the position and moved the router upstairs to a second inlet (Not the issue)
Even upgraded my Internet to a brand new Router and 200mbps line! (Not the issue)

As it stands, i have 214mbps downstairs (wired) when clocked with Ookla's Speedtest.
And upstairs i have 1 - 2.4mbps < At very best.
So for PC Gaming and if the Mrs wants to watch Netflix upstairs, This is now not possible.

My Question to you guys is:

Dirty Power. Does it exist? Does this sound like this could be the issue? What route do i need to take up with a landlord and how on earth would i explain this to a layman?
Any suggestions for things Ive missed, please help guys!

Thank you in advance,

Dom.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:26:07
Print Post

Re: Puzzling Internet Issue

[re: VeritasUK] [link to this post]

Don't crosspost.

I already answered in your other post http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4455067...

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 24-Dec-15 10:27:08)

Print Thread

Jump to