General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukoberon
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 10:58:05
Print Post

Graph interpritation - Connection dropping at random

[link to this post]

Hello - i am in discussion with my ISP (Quickline) as i have started to see random drop outs where my whole internet access seems to stop - sometimes this can be for a minute or two , sometimes 10 minutes. I have had BQM running for the last 20 hours or so and have had the issue a few times. Im struggling to see if this represents on the graph at all. What i need to understand is why the green area is being broken up as this seems to tie in with the times i loose connectivity. Would be really good if forum users could offer your take on my graph please. Many thanks in advance.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/28848ff92b7...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Jan-16 13:25:27
Print Post

Re: Graph interpritation - Connection dropping at random

[re: ukoberon] [link to this post]

Those are not random drop-outs the spacing is far too regular

It looks like a mixture of high latency and then packet loss, which could be some periodic process totally saturating the connection so that no other packets get through, but in a manner that ramps up to total packet loss rather than a sudden loss.

As quickline is a wireless service, the issue may be something unique to them. There is one other person on Quickline running a BQM and this while showing variable latency does not have the regular pattern that you do.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukoberon
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 13:36:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you Mr Saffron - forgive my lack of understanding here - but given that the monitoring is to the router rather than to my LAN does this indicate that the issue would more likely sit on Quicklines end of things ? thanks again

Edited by ukoberon (Sun 10-Jan-16 13:39:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Jan-16 16:14:50
Print Post

More likely, but for example if a 1GB file is uploaded from your LAN to the Internet every 30 minutes it could produce this effect, so checking for unusual track patterns from your own LAN is worth checking.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukoberon
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 16:25:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the guidance.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 16:17:40
Print Post

You don't live near a military base do you? It looks similar to a radar sweep causing interference every 30 mins.
Standard User ukoberon
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-16 21:06:40
Print Post

Thanks for help - issue now resolved. ISP said congestion on the frequency they used for radio signal. Moved to new frequency and all good since !!! Thanks for help!

heres the graph showing pre frequancy change and post frequency change... http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/15342e6d171...

Edited by ukoberon (Thu 14-Jan-16 21:09:32)

Print Thread

Jump to