General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sheephouse
(newbie) Mon 01-Feb-16 17:12:56
Print Post

ADSLMax Premium - is this what I should expect to see?

[link to this post]

I have an ADSLMax Premium connection with sync at 8Mbps down 800Kbps up (speedtests report 5.5Mbs down 500Kbps up). I have a variable latency, which is noticeable when using VPN and/or Lync/Skype. I do run servers, but they don't get heavy usage (CPU is typically less than 1% utilized, and peaks at about 5%), and I have a Vigor 2860n+ router, which also reports low cpu utilization.

The latency gets noticeably worse in the evenings, so I'm suspecting that it is due to congestion - this is the Netherend exchange, which is quite small.

My question is are the attached graphs what would be expected for ADSLMax Premium, or is there evidence of congestion?

23-01-2016 I was away that day, so the peak traffic wasn't me, and the server didn't log any significant activity.

27-01-2016 I was also away that day.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Feb-16 18:39:09
Print Post

Re: ADSLMax Premium - is this what I should expect to see?

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Not pretty so pointing more towards congestion. The older 20CN products which IPStream Max should be avoided if there is a 21CN or LLU option available.

Growth of video streaming is outpacing the capabilities of the old network

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Tue 02-Feb-16 09:24:26
Print Post

What does a normal day look like when you are using the connection, and what does it look like with the server (and everything else) unplugged overnight.

I am also on ADSLmax and I use QOS to limit uploads to 75% of my upload synch; this removes bufferbloat and keeps VOIP/mobile phone calls via femtocells usable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sheephouse
(newbie) Tue 02-Feb-16 09:45:20
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

On a normal day the trace looks much like the one for 27-01-2016, possibly with more blue during working hours as I'm using VPN.

I do have the server limited to 50% of upstream bandwidth, but I don't limit my work computers as that would defeat the point of paying extra for the increased upload speed - and Lync needs around 500Kbps minimum upload to be usable (I need to use HD for work).

I don't like to take the server offline as it acts as mail-server to my (large) family and a couple of charities, as well as hosting a bunch of (low traffic) websites. However, I do need to upgrade some software on it, so I may take it down for an evening to see what happens to the traces.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Tue 02-Feb-16 10:55:45
Print Post

Okay; I'm not convinced it is congestion you would expect see a little packet loss and a more gradual ramp up and down to and from the higher average ping response times (blue).
Standard User leexgx
(committed) Tue 02-Feb-16 12:26:08
Print Post

this would be expected if your running all the stuff you are (you need to test it with every thing off just the router on its own for say 30 mins or less to see if its something that is maxing your download out or upload out

traffic cap your upload to just under 700kbs limit for all traffic (as ADSL is norm consistent assuming lock is 800kbs) and download to under 7mb (download limiting is less effective thought) do a speed test with nothing connected and traffic capping off to find out your upload and download

is the line in fast path or interleave mode ?

if it was congestion overall ping would be consistently get worse and better when you go in and out of peak time (your avg ping does not show that apart from the 23rd one which might of been you or congestion as avg ping went up and a big spike at 10pm)

but seems normal as your running a business type of traffic on a very small 800kbs upload connection this would be expected (you even say your not bandwidth capping every thing)

Edited by leexgx (Tue 02-Feb-16 12:27:40)

Print Thread

Jump to