General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rockwell21
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 10:12:52
Print Post

is this ok? (virgin media)

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I don't really know what to look for so if anyone could cast their eyes over this it would be appreciated

url=http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/d837bb406612374cc5ea7fd4a53203a2.html]My Broadband Ping

www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/d837bb40661

Super hub 2, virgin, 100mb connection. I play destiny on the ps4 when the kids are in bed, for the last week or so It's been a nightmare lag wise. Iv spoke to virgin and they've told me there's an over utilisation fault in the area which is due to be fixed at the end of March. The thing is, they told me this last September, November, and December. I gave up asking in December.

Cheers

edit: Im not sure how to link to my graph so Iv put a direct link in here too.

Edited by rockwell21 (Tue 01-Mar-16 10:17:41)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Mar-16 10:28:01
Print Post

Re: is this ok? (virgin media)

[re: rockwell21] [link to this post]

The shared nature of the local loop for cable means that if you are in a high utilisation area there can be lag issues in games.

That all said the BQM actually looks fairly standard for a cable service.

The average ping (blue) is only a few ms higher at peak times, when its bad the blue area is much wider. The yellow which just represents the worst ping in a 100 second period which at 30 to 50ms should still allow for gaming. Variation is annoying but should be playable.

It is possible that a DSL based service may actually give better ping/lag performance for gaming

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rockwell21
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 10:39:07
Print Post

Re: is this ok? (virgin media)

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I'm tempted to give sky fibre a try, Iv heard that they are better for gaming. I'm just worried that if i switch and it ends up worse I'll be stuck with it for a year. We don't use the Internet for much apart from the Mrs watches Netflix a couple of nights in the week and me on the ps4. It's sad really, I'm 32 but las soon as I experience lag when gaming I turn into a stroppy kid again, it's infuriating.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to