General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gmangt4
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-16 14:35:21
Print Post

Help with BQM

[link to this post]

Hi
I'm on Sky ADSL2 LLU and its usually a very stable connection, I'm on an EO line, last month FTTC became available to me but I dithered and within two weeks cabinet was sold out, now I can order again but still unsure as I sync at 21Mb and its only me in the house that uses the broadband and don't have any bandwidth related issues, also my broadband is free and FTTC would be £20 a month, so unsure if worth it?
Anyway recently my connection has been sluggish at night and have been getting this type of graph that I have linked to.
I was wondering why if anyone has any ideas, is it because Openreach have about 10 vans outside my house all day and 2 vans with guys working nightshift too? Seems to coincide? Or is it due to major electrical work being carried out beside me 24/7? Or is it my SkyQ box updating every night?
Here is the lnk to a snapshot and would appreciate any ideas My Broadband Ping
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Nov-16 17:17:30
Print Post

Re: Help with BQM

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

Don't recognise the pattern, but it may be the Sky Q doing something over night, it looks like it is downloading blocks of material and saturating the connection. Likely that on FTTC this would not be noticed.

Are you using 4K - as it could be 4K content downloading and that is a lot larger file size than HD material.

Try disconnecting the Sky Q from the broadband for just one night between 11pm and 9am

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmangt4
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-16 17:27:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi
Thanks for the reply, that was when I turned the TV off last night, its been happening for a couple of weeks now, normally my QOS controls it, I use the bandwidth limiter to keep bufferbloat at bay, download limited to 16Mb and upload to 1Mb via bandwidth control
Even when I had to download the recent Call of Duty and that was 100Gb I never saw that pattern, I thought about unplugging the sky box overnight as it moans when not connected by constantly reminding me to conect it..
Does the 4k not come via the dish on skyq and broadband on BT TV? As I can still access 4k when not connected to the internet via the red buttton, not 100% sure though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Nov-16 18:10:26
Print Post

4K is likely to be satellite feed for live, but any on demand will be over internet, and Sky Q boxes do have a chunk of capacity reserved for pre-loading content, so that may be taking place.

If the times coincide with the TV being off then, experiment with the TV off/on for 15 minute segments during the day.

If the issue is RF noise causing errors to a predictable pattern (noise that's predictable is odd in itself) QoS controls may not help. Another avenue is try seeing QoS to force even more bandwidth limiting in both directions, e.g. 8 Mbps down and 500 Kbps up.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmangt4
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-16 18:18:25
Print Post

There is massive electrical work going very close to me, they are electrifying the Train track beside me and have to knock down the bridge so gas, electricity, sewage and BTOpenreach and any other utility company working round the clock and huge floodlights come on at night about that time but my gear is connected to mains conditioners so was hoping they would help there?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Nov-16 20:07:57
Print Post

mains conditioners will only clean up the mains, but if lots of RF noise from the night time work and timings coincide with them running kit/lights then probably most likely cause, i.e. being picked up via telephone wiring

Standard User gmangt4
(newbie) Mon 14-Nov-16 15:31:31
Print Post

Just for anyone that reads this as too many don't come back and update their threads on many forums, it was my xbox one that was updating in the background, unplugged everything one by one and found out it was the xbox,
  Print Thread

Jump to