General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Nov-16 22:20:28
Print Post

Packet loss

[link to this post]

I'm getting a more solid line of dropped packets showing than usual.
For a long time now - probably since last March - we've seem small blips of dropped packets between perhaps 4-4.30pm and 10/11pm, and it hadn't really caused any problems, but three nights ago, I noticed it suddenly became far more pronounced, and so far has been at roughly the same times.

I searched and thought about it for a long time when it began in a small way last spring, and seeing we had no problems, nothing in use in the house at those particular times, or new electrical items, I did wonder about a new family that moved in opposite.
Seeing these heavier strings of packet loss are at the same times, it must be the same source wherever that is.
As far as I know, we've had no major work happening close by - Virgin installed fibre along our street, but it never seemed to affect our router performance. I did see one house opposite being connected to the Virgin service in the past week, but that's a different cabinet anyway.

I'm now noticing some slow movement with the internet at those times.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Nov-16 13:15:23
Print Post

Re: Packet loss

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

Virgin Media users should only affect you if on Virgin Media and your BQM does not look like a virgin media users too good generally in terms of jitter. Roadworks can be a cause of RF interference affecting xDSL services, but should not cause large amounts of interference if their hardware is well maintained and working well.

The small pattern of packet loss may just be peak load on the ISP, need to do some intermediate pinging to get an idea of where the issue is happening i.e. to rule out the first hop that would be your broadband connection and route into providers own network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Nov-16 23:38:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Virgin Media users should only affect you if on Virgin Media and your BQM does not look like a virgin media users too good generally in terms of jitter.
Thanks. True, mine is Zen, and the house opposite with a new Virgin fibre connection weren't at home for most of last night anyway.
I don't know much about the middle house of the three, but they're the ones that moved in last March when the interference began in a smaller way (visible but didn't affect my BB much) - this newer, more intense interference is at exactly the same time of night.
One of our sons wondered if perhaps they use something like Netflix a lot, but I wouldn't know if that would cause the same effect.
Last night was better as it was at a lower level, but tonight I can feel the slow down on page loads and images at times.
Roadworks can be a cause of RF interference affecting xDSL services, but should not cause large amounts of interference if their hardware is well maintained and working well.
Can't say I'm aware of any roadworks close by, and especially not until late evening.

The small pattern of packet loss may just be peak load on the ISP, need to do some intermediate pinging to get an idea of where the issue is happening i.e. to rule out the first hop that would be your broadband connection and route into providers own network.
I don't know how to do that pinging.
When the lower level of it began last spring, Zen did a number of checks on the line, and found nothing untoward.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-16 09:31:43
Print Post

A virgin media connection should not interfere with a Zen one at all.

If the packet loss coincided with them moving in, then either coincidence or down to radio frequency interference from something they have e.g. outdoor security light

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/videos/broadband-inter... shows how to use an AM radio to find actual interference

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-16 16:44:32
Print Post

The people with the Virgin fibre are opposite us, the ones that moved in last March just as the interference began, are next door to them in the middle one of three houses ...and if it isn't coincidence, it wouldn't be something like someone watching Netflix, gaming etc.?

I borrowed an AM radio earlier this year, but found nothing in our house - was summer and not dark until quite late, so I'd have looked odd walking past neighbours houses with a radio.
I'll ask if I can borrow it again and try it now we have the dark evenings smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-16 18:45:56
Print Post

Different physical network so their gaming and Netflix on Virgin Media will not impact people on ADSL2+/FTTC

Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-16 19:14:33
Print Post

They're two different houses Andrew - the one opposite us is Virgin fibre, the house next door to them is where the new occupants are since March when the interference began.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-16 22:25:17
Print Post

And what broadband connection is this house that is allegedly causing using?

Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-16 23:28:23
Print Post

I don't know what they use, and of course, the only clue I have to the interference is that it began at the same time that they moved in - it may not be them, and just a coincidence.
I think the chap before them had Sky at one point, but that may have changed.

I suppose using a radio as you suggest could help confirm or eliminate any of those three houses, or the next door neighbour.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Nov-16 09:47:04
Print Post

If its radio interference it should also be visible in the router stats, rather than the BQM tool

The pattern is more indicative of a peak time internet congestion issue rather than interference

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to