General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Archz
(newbie) Sun 20-Nov-16 21:22:48
Print Post

redraw internet

[link to this post]

I live in a rural area and have no internet besides what is offered by www.redrawinternet.com if we went with BT it would come down a copper pipe and only get 0.50mbs at a MAX. We have had no issues with the internet till the last 3 weeks where we suffer with it slowing down, connection issues every few minutes ranging from every minute to sometimes fine for 10 minutes. I have contacted the company numerous times and had zero help other than "we can see no issues our end" I have done a Broadband Quality Monitor and the results are pretty awful.

This was a snippet from the other night pic

I am lost what to do next. The company are saying there is no issues but I can't seem to get them to listen to what our issues are.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Nov-16 10:24:22
Print Post

Re: redraw internet

[re: Archz] [link to this post]

Is it a wireless connection? How firmly mounted is the antenna at your end? Could wind/rain/leaves be a cause of issues, i.e. start of storm season

Next step would be trace route and ping servers on the network, to see if its over the first hop, i.e. the access medium or an issue deeper in their network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Archz
(newbie) Tue 22-Nov-16 18:36:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is a wired connection. Tried new cables today with no improvement. Have removed the router and connecting it straight to the dish and still getting the same issues.

I have tried pinging different servers and after a length of time was getting about 5% packet loss over 45 minutes. The company state they have logged in wirelessly and there is no issues it must be our computer. I have tethered my phone and getting zero issues with latency on my computer, xbox and laptop. They keep asking me to do a speedtest but I keep telling them speed is not the issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Nov-16 18:44:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Archz:
It is a wired connection. Tried new cables today with no improvement. Have removed the router and connecting it straight to the dish and still getting the same issues.

Its wireless, but not WiFi, if you have a dish on the house. It might be wired from the box to your computer, but the link from your house to the internet is over a long range radio link.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User Archz
(newbie) Tue 22-Nov-16 19:31:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I am aware it's a wireless connection but I am wired to the router. The internet has never been an issue till the last 3 weeks and nothing has changed but the provider will not send anyone out saying there is no issues there end.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Nov-16 21:42:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Archz:
I am aware it's a wireless connection but I am wired to the router. The internet has never been an issue till the last 3 weeks and nothing has changed but the provider will not send anyone out saying there is no issues there end.

the question MrSaffron asked was if it was a wireless connection, you said no, but in fact it is. You should say its a WISP.

Any wireless technology (outside your building or inside) can be subject to variability, speeds and latency can go up and down. This is why physical wire connections are preferred generally where possible.

Your WISP sounds like it is doing well in these rains/weather :-/

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to