General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nmparmar
(newbie) Tue 29-Nov-16 21:04:32
Print Post

Virginmedia connection. Does this look acceptable?

[link to this post]

Hi,

New to this site, recently moved to virignmedia on a 100mb connection. Was given a Superhub 3.0 which has been ok, but seeing poor performance on xbox. I am seeing an Open NAT, however, I'm also seeing a lot of lag on games. I realise I don't have the fastest connection, but still think I should have a better experience than I am currently. My graph doesn't look like any of the examples on the broadband quality monitor page. From what I've read, it does seem that my graph is particularly busy. What does this actually mean?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/d1a7bace248...

Would appreciate any help given.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Nov-16 16:43:33
Print Post

Re: Virginmedia connection. Does this look acceptable?

[re: nmparmar] [link to this post]

Not great at all, cable generally has a little more jitter but should hopefully be a steady blue area, but as your blue is showing a fair bit of variation this supports your moan about actual gaming.

The graph assuming you were not using the connection all those hours is a reflection of the activity of others in your local segment of the cable network.

Gaming does not need 100 Mbps, should be happy with 5 Mbps so long as latency is reasonably low and consistent. What the 100 Mbps should mean is that digital purchases and game updates download a lot quicker.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nmparmar
(newbie) Wed 30-Nov-16 17:12:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Not great at all, cable generally has a little more jitter but should hopefully be a steady blue area, but as your blue is showing a fair bit of variation this supports your moan about actual gaming.

The graph assuming you were not using the connection all those hours is a reflection of the activity of others in your local segment of the cable network.

Gaming does not need 100 Mbps, should be happy with 5 Mbps so long as latency is reasonably low and consistent. What the 100 Mbps should mean is that digital purchases and game updates download a lot quicker.

Hi Andrew, and thank you for your help. Yes, I'm not at home most of the day, so the connection is definitely not being used. Although, having said that, I do have a Tivo, my TV, a couple of Now TV boxes and a NAS device connected, its possible they were doing something, but they would really have been idle.

I suppose I could turn off these devices and see how things go. Failing which, is there something I can raise with Virgin about the performance issues I am experiencing? Would they take this graph as evidence of some problems with my connection?

Many Thanks!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Nov-16 19:14:56
Print Post

[re: nmparmar] [link to this post]

The virgin hubs can do funky things to incoming pings, so you need to verify via some outbound pings at the command line that you get the same effects.

Oddly the superhubs sometimes behave better after a reboot.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to