General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 06jordanluke
(newbie) Thu 15-Dec-16 16:13:55
Print Post

Help with BQM

[link to this post]

hi there,
for the past two weeks my internet has been having frequent disconnects, on the router webpage it describes the state as 'adsl connection not found, could not bring up link',
i started using the BQM a few days ago and here are the results, i'm not really sure what to make of it so have came here for ideas, you can clearly see each disconnect as it hits 100% packet loss.

i am with daisy group/fleur telecom on an adsl copper connection if that helps whatsoever.

looking forward to any responses ,

here is the BQM: My Broadband Ping

regards

luke

Edited by 06jordanluke (Thu 15-Dec-16 16:25:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Dec-16 17:17:57
Print Post

Re: Help with BQM

[re: 06jordanluke] [link to this post]

Masses of disconnects i.e. likely fault or bad wiring in home or street.

So BQM largely useless other than showings it bad, the next step is drag connection speed, attenuation and noise margin info from the router.

Has the line been stable for a long time previously? If yes, any recent changes you know about e.g. Christmas lights all over the place, central heating on a lot?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 15-Dec-16 17:39:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

hey, thanks for responding

we have had the line engineer out and there is very little noise on the line coming into the house.
the line was very stable until a few weeks ago,
we have had no major changes with electronics recently and admittedly we don't have our Christmas lights up yet (Grinch i know).

here are the attenuation and noise margins from the router noise/attenuation

edit: i have been monitoring the noise margin since i just disconnected again a minute ago, after the disconnection my noise margin was 0.2dB now it is 1.5dB and still fluctuating a lot.

as shown previously the noise margin was at 6, does this mean that it is definately a line problem somewhere?

cheers

Edited by 06jordanluke (Thu 15-Dec-16 17:49:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Dec-16 18:02:55
Print Post

It doesn't need to be your Christmas lights. It could be any fairly close by, especially if your line goes even nearer.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 43998/16174bps frown @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Dec-16 19:15:24
Print Post

If those figures are from using the test socket, so no extensions are working then that is bad.

NOTE: Noise that affects ADSL is usually not audible to the human and if engineer was testing for voice then likely to pass.

Just after a disconnection the noise margin should be a lot higher too.

You have a problem somewhere just needs someone to spend time figuring it and with access to the Openreach testing systems. The full set of stats may help, as then might be able to advise work arounds such as forcing modem to ADSL2 mode rather than ADSL2+ or all the way down to ADSL only.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 16-Dec-16 00:53:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

those figures were from the test socket, however i have fixed the disconnection issue which seems to be in internal wiring issue, the router is now connected to the face plate for the master socket

you can see the difference in My Broadband Ping
i have developed a higher ping now though, this may be because i'm having to use a layer 2 switch from an AP to connect the rest of the house as i moved the router.

i have never had the noise any higher than the 6dB however so maybe there are still some issues to iron out, thanks for the help in trouble shooting smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Dec-16 01:23:01
Print Post

Not sure what you've done but the BQM is looking better

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-16 08:19:07
Print Post

The higher ping may be due to a change in the connection stats as the systems may have automatically adjusted to take account of the disconnections you were seeing. However, before and after stats from the router would be needed to confirm that.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 16-Dec-16 09:13:52
Print Post

Ping dropped again at 8am.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 43998/16174bps frown @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to