General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User skinnersplace
(newbie) Sun 15-Jan-17 10:11:02
Print Post

Virgin Media SH3 (modem mode) + Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X Router

[link to this post]

Hi all this is my first post, I am new to BQM.

I have VM VIVID 100 Optical Fibre connection with a SH3 in modem mode with an ubiquiy er-x router doing the heavy lifting.
My download speeds have generally been reasonable, however the connection to server / ping part of speed tests has always been poor.
this has let me feeling like the connection is not performing well even though the speed tests seamed ok.

initially thought my wifi was the issue, but the problem has persisted since moving to wired connections.
it was looking into this lead me to this site.

Here is my graph, the average ping is not huge, but there is still a lot of peaks in yellow.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/c0bbd4495ce...

I can usually stream ok, (i presume because the fast download fills the buffer and hides the latency spikes). and i do not game.
However I just have this general dissatisfaction with my internet experience, it just does not seam like a 100 fibre connection should.
I am hoping that some of you with more experience can advise i you think the above graph looks normal and if you feel my issues are ISP related.

Kind Regards

Skinnersplace
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Jan-17 10:45:55
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media SH3 (modem mode) + Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X Ro

[re: skinnersplace] [link to this post]

Looks normal for a SuperHub 3 where it seems the CPU issues are still affecting people even in modem mode.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7582-virgin-media...

Some have seen latency improve after restarting the SH3

Though change in the width of the blue and green does suggest some local congestion.

This not feeling like 100 Mbps is why BT with slower VDSL2 but better and peak time and latency performance has not been wiped out of the marketplace in areas where the two technologies are available.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User skinnersplace
(newbie) Sun 15-Jan-17 11:09:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many Thanks for the quick reply Mr Saffron,

I will try a restart and check for an improvement.

Is there any recommendation to request a router downgrade or wait for a firmware fix from Virgin ?

Also is there any test I can make to rule out my Router before I contact Virgin media?

Kind Regards

Skinnersplace

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Jan-17 14:00:19
Print Post

[re: skinnersplace] [link to this post]

Ruling out router - try the superhub to a PC via Ethernet in router mode to rule out issues with your own router.

Virgin I think are waiting on the firmware fix

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to