General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sparrow_hawk
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-17 10:35:40
Print Post

QM stopped after router reset?

[link to this post]

Hi all, I've been using the TBB QM to help diagnose a problem with my Virgin connection since January. I did a factory reset the other day and the QM has stopped monitoring (all red). How can I fix this? Has the reset wiped the ping response setting maybe? I'm at work right now so can't check.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Feb-17 10:50:39
Print Post

Re: QM stopped after router reset?

[re: sparrow_hawk] [link to this post]

It requires a static IP, that doesn't change when you disconnect and reconnect to your ISP. It sounds as if VM give you a dynamic IP Address, where they allocate you a new one every time (or often when) you do that.

The solution is to go to the BQM setup page on the Main Site here, delete the existing one, and set up a new one. However that loses the history. If you want to keep that, as far as I know the only way would be to go through the "Previous Days" calendar and take a load of screenshots. The links stop working when you delete that monitor, and after a fairly short time even if you don't delete it. The system deletes it automatically after this non-response goes on for for a long time.

Edit: It seems it's what we call "sticky". Link. So it's sometimes, as opposed to every time or often.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 28-Feb-17 10:56:56)

(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-17 20:53:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Roberto, a change in public IP was the first thing that I thought of too, but it hasn't changed. Is there some other reason the QM would stop working?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Feb-17 21:01:42
Print Post

[re: sparrow_hawk] [link to this post]

Ah yes!

I missed the factory bit of the reset. The firewall is almost certainly defaulting to blocking the pings. Find the setting and enable ping responses.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-17 21:45:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That was it after all. For anyone else with a Virgin Superhub 2, it's in Advanced Settings > Tools > Ping.

Cheers
  Print Thread

Jump to