General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lucks70
(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 14:31:12
Print Post

Red screen on BQM

[link to this post]

Hi
I have been using BQM for several weeks but yesterday at around 12.30pm it suddenly changed to the all red screen. It would appear that my ip address changed from the one originally being monitored.
Virgin media have been carrying out upgrade work in the area and am wondering if that was the reason for the change or could it be a BQM problem.
Grateful for any assistance.
Also what is the BQM setup procedure if a new ip address is to be entered.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 14:41:55
Print Post

Re: Red screen on BQM

[re: Lucks70] [link to this post]

You can check your current IP address with this (thinkbroadband) tool. Though that only seems to show IPv4. But isn't much use if you can't remember what it was smile.

If you go to the Main Site >> My Profile >> Go to Broadband Quality Monitor you can see what the BQM is using. Start to create a new one and it will come up with your current one. If different, complete creating it and delete the old one.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 14:43:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No IPv6 on Virgin Media yet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lucks70
(newbie) Fri 31-Mar-17 09:51:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS

Thanks your response.

The ip address is certainly different to the one previously being monitored.

I am concerned that in creating a new monitor I could lose my 6 weeks of BQM results which I would prefer not to do.
To be on the safe side I will take and save screen shots of my previous results before attempting to create a new monitor.
Lucks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Mar-17 10:46:09
Print Post

[re: Lucks70] [link to this post]

Creating the new monitor does not harm the old one.

But now your system no longer uses it, it will be deleted automatically from your profile at some stage. I forget how many weeks of inactivity causes that.

There are two reasons for deleting the old one yourself.

One is to release thinkbroadband system resources which otherwise continue to poll that address all the time and update the database. As an old-school professional IT man that is a deeply ingrained thing to do smile.

The other is that someone else will soon have that old address. Maybe already. The thinkbroadband system will be pinging it continuously, and the new holder's system (firewall) could take it as attack probes. Not likely to cause a problem, but if that person examines the logs they may wonder what is going on.

If you were in that person's place, would it worry you?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to