General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User paulb100
(member) Thu 06-Apr-17 02:51:52
Print Post

is BQM is good for testing??

[link to this post]

1) it relies on your router being idle-to-not that busy... if its busy it may not always ping back or delay the ping (this registers as packet loss and users immediately think they have an issue and start kicking off)

2) I downloaded at 18-20Mbps on my 40Mb connection while uploading at 0.3Mbps of my 2Mbps connection so the router (PNHubOne) wasnt that busy and BQM was showing 100% packet loss the entire time

http://i.imgur.com/MQPPTAO.jpg <-check it

can anyone clarify whether this is true or is any other reason?

thnx

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech & Broadband Chat
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 08:54:55
Print Post

Re: is BQM is good for testing??

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

A lot will be down to the router. Some routers will handle load better than others.

If a line is completely saturated then ping times will always go up - just the way networks work and needs to be taken into account when reviewing the graphs.

If you are partially using the line and it is causing that many dropouts then a better router might help the connection in general (routers should prioritise real traffic over pings though).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Apr-17 09:30:15
Print Post

Solid red looks more like the router is not responding to the pings at all, and if it stayed that way when the downloads and uploads stopped then the monitor is monitoring the wrong IP or router not configured to respond (if you can do so on the HubOne, which when its the BT HomeHub you cannot)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Apr-17 09:46:54
Print Post

Either that router is not configured to respond to pings, as MrSaffron suggests, or your IP Address has changed since you set up the monitor. You need a static IP Address on Plusnet.

Two questions. Did it happen ever work with this router, and if it did have you bought a static IP Address or not?

The fact it starts with no latency showing at the bottom suggests it simply isn't responding even when you are doing nothing. You would have to start a download pretty sharply after getting a connection for a graph like that to happen. I think it's impossible.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Apr-17 11:04:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We would expect a mixture of green yellow and blue too (in addition to the red) if this was high latency due to downloads too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to