General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 08:34:29
Print Post

What could cause these packet loss spikes?

[link to this post]

Hey all

I will go through what has happened and what I have done first and then at the end ask my question(s).

I have moved away from the Smart Hub due to my one doesn't work with IPv6, so I brought a FRITZ!Box 4040 Router.

This is to be connected to my ONT via WAN and has been working fine for a few days.

Then a couple of days ago I started getting about 10% packet loss around every 6 hours.
So it spikes just before 4am, just before 10am, just after 4pm and just after 10pm, I have absolutely no clue what is causing it.

Here is an image where you can see it spiking, the latency spike on the right was me doing a speed test.

The only thing that has changed from when it was all fine was the Dynamic IP, maybe that IP had some issues.

After speaking to BT Care via Twitter I a full reboot of the router and disabled the old BQM and setup a new one with the new IP and left it going which is shown here.

The latency spike on the left was me doing a speed test and the packet loss spikes was me changing some setting which for some reason dropped the connection.

Now the stupid part:

Sadly due to viewing the wrong BQM Graph I thought it was still doing it, so I did another reboot, sadly I got a new IP, so had to go through the same process with the BQM tongue
So now the third BQM in my Sig, that little red spike was me locking down the router to allow just ICMP (Stealth Mode)

*** Question(s) ***

So my question, what would cause those packet loss spikes at the same times?

I am on an Infinity 4 connection where absolutely everything is over fibre, so am I correct it was an issue BT's end to do with that IP I was given for those two days that I was having the issue?

I ask this due to all the other IPs that I have been given on this router have not had any packet loss.

I have made a note of that offending IP so if I get it again in the future I will just reboot the router and get another IP.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #3
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Apr-17 09:34:35
Print Post

Re: What could cause these packet loss spikes?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

First image with the big lumps of red looked very regular almost as if a router was delaying responses for a while.

In terms of the yellow generally looks very healthy, assuming you are sometimes using the connection

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 21-Apr-17 10:31:11
Print Post

We need to see a few hours of BQM3 of course smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User legume
(experienced) Fri 21-Apr-17 10:50:25
Print Post

Pure speculation -
How long had the router been up when the issue started?
Maybe after some time it will happen again and a reboot will clear it.
What is the router?
Edit: Doh ignore the last question!

Edited by legume (Fri 21-Apr-17 10:59:33)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 11:57:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
First image with the big lumps of red looked very regular almost as if a router was delaying responses for a while.

In terms of the yellow generally looks very healthy, assuming you are sometimes using the connection

Yeah, that's why its confusing me, BT Care said I would need to connect my Smart Hub when/if I phone the FTTP Support Team, but with the Smart Hub I would be unaware if the issue is still there or not due to it blocks ICMP Packets.

Like I said it was fine for the first few days when on a different IP.

I did some changes to-do with Wireless where I then rebooted the router this was where I was given a new IP which had the 10% packet loss around every 6 hours.

This went on for a further 2 or so days like this until I rebooted yesterday where I did another reboot, got a third IP Address and was fine again.

I did no changes this time, so what caused the 10% packet loss before should still be there, but it wasn't, so I was assuming it was linked to that IP.

I did tell BT Care via Twitter that I will leave it for another 24 to 48 hours to see if it happens again, but the one that run for the last 21 hours was fine.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM #3
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 11:58:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
We need to see a few hours of BQM3 of course smile.

Yeah, I will be leaving it for the next 24 to 48 hours, I am sure it will be fine and that bad couple of days was linked to the IP I was given that time.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM #3
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 12:12:24
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by legume:
Pure speculation -
How long had the router been up when the issue started?

Well it was setup on the 6th where it was fine, I just had issues with the wireless, so I did some changes to that and I was told I would have to do a full reboot for those changes to take affect, which I did.

Those few days from the 6th was fine until the reboot on the 10th, I got a new IP and everything was very slugish when browsing, I would also get DC'd from games at random times.

I did a reboot yesterday and everything was fine again.

In reply to a post by legume:
Maybe after some time it will happen again and a reboot will clear it.
What is the router?
Edit: Doh ignore the last question!

Well we won't know until it happens, my guesses are that the issue was down to a bad IP, maybe a routing issue due to an intermittent fault.

Its just strange that nothing was changed to-do with the firewall, or the internet settings, as far as I know as soon as it was given that bad IP I got the issue and after a reboot I was given a new IP and it was fine.

But I will leave it running for the next 24 to 48 hours and see if it comes back.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM #3
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Apr-17 12:58:17
Print Post

The IP change indicates probably that your routing through the BT Consumer network may have changed, i.e. nothing to do with router or your FTTP.

FTTP only solves the attenuation and noise issues of copper, it does not guarantee a perfect core network

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 13:09:30
Print Post

The IP change indicates probably that your routing through the BT Consumer network may have changed, i.e. nothing to do with router or your FTTP.

FTTP only solves the attenuation and noise issues of copper, it does not guarantee a perfect core network

That's what I am trying to say, all other IP's that I had apart from that one which I had the issues with were fine, so that's why I said I think I must of had an IP that had bad routing or some issues with it.

So far the current BQM has gone passed the 10am mark with no issues, so maybe this is ok now.

I will actually leave it for a week and check it once a days to see, but I am sure it will be fine.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM #3
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Apr-17 23:19:29
Print Post

The IP change indicates probably that your routing through the BT Consumer network may have changed, i.e. nothing to do with router or your FTTP. FTTP only solves the attenuation and noise issues of copper, it does not guarantee a perfect core network

Reminds me of the days of dialup when you'd disconnect and re-dial to get a different connection; normally the same on the modem side, and different routing from a different RAS bank at the ISP.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 9th Apr 17: 56,605/9,592 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to