General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Apr-17 06:07:34
Print Post

Re: What could cause these packet loss spikes?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Well its seems to of not happened yet, but I will leave it for another 6 days.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #3
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Apr-17 23:20:43
Print Post

Well its back again and it was worse this time shown here, not really sure what to do now.

I will leave it going for another few days and then decide.

Anyone know of a good router to be used on Infinity 4 via the WAN Port, it needs to support IPv6 and respond to ICMP Pings?

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM #3

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 27-Apr-17 23:22:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Apr-17 00:00:10
Print Post

An ASUS perhaps? Their router and wifi side seems good, built-in modems that you aren't interest in a different matter.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Troll-a-day
Troll-a-day
I suffer from them
Everyday.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Apr-17 01:08:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
An ASUS perhaps? Their router and wifi side seems good, built-in modems that you aren't interest in a different matter.

Maybe, I am currently looking at a Linksys WRT3200ACM-UK on Amazon, I did look at others but I either didn't like the look of it or it had bad reviews.

*** update ***

Well I just ordered a Linksys WRT3200ACM-UK Router and should get it Saturday, but I will leave the Fritz 4040 connected for the next couple of days to see what happens, I think it will keep spiking around every 6 hours.

So this new router should rule out either the other router or the connection, just hoping its not the ONT LOL.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM #3

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 28-Apr-17 03:24:20)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Apr-17 08:32:50
Print Post

Nahhh! It's not the ONT. It's the position of the moon over 24 hours in relation to your house and the route to the ISP routers. Like the tide at every particular beach. It's pulling on a tiny manufacturing fault in the fibre every six hours and causing the problem.

You can see this from the shape of each episode.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Apr-17 11:11:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Nahhh! It's not the ONT. It's the position of the moon over 24 hours in relation to your house and the route to the ISP routers. Like the tide at every particular beach. It's pulling on a tiny manufacturing fault in the fibre every six hours and causing the problem.

You can see this from the shape of each episode.

LOL.

It is strange though isn't it.

If it was noise it would be the same no matter if I rebooted / reset the connection, however its fine for X days then at an interval of the time it reconnected and every 6 hours after.

This time it was rebooted / reset on 21.04.2017, 07:44 o'clock and one of the spikes is around that time.

Where as before when it was happening the connection was rebooted / reset on 10.04.2017, 03:49 o'clock and it was happening around that time and every 6 hours after that.

TBH I don't think its the ONT due to that's not been touched since it was installed.

Its just the X days after the connection is reset where it is fine before the spikes happen is confusing resulting in not knowing if its the router or the connection.

I am currently on the fence here due to this FRITZ|Box 4040 is rather a new product and isn't really sold to the UK hence there not being a UK plug on the PSU, also I am having issues with the Wi-Fi where its dropping connections so that doesn't help much.

So hopefully this new Linksys router will either show its the FritzBox or the connection, plus the Wi-Fi cannot be as bad as this current one LOL.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM #3
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Apr-17 11:56:37
Print Post

Noise as in photons being corrupted?

Remember FTTP is not subject to RF noise.

The fact its showing packet loss with no obvious change in baseline latency tends to point to a broadband hardware issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Apr-17 12:18:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Noise as in photons being corrupted?

Remember FTTP is not subject to RF noise.

Yeah, I am aware of that, but BT still say that.

The fact its showing packet loss with no obvious change in baseline latency tends to point to a broadband hardware issue

What hardware would this be, BT's internal hardware, the ONT, or my Router.

And like you said the latency is still very low when its happening, which is confusing me.

Also it doesn't happen right away, it starts happening X days after the new connection is made, and the one of the 6 hour spike will be the time it was reconnected on.

BT has told me via Twitter that I would have to connect the Smart Hub back up so that they can do they tests, that wouldn't help if it doesn't happen right away, also how would I know its happening due to the hub blocks ICMP Pings frown and there is nothing stopping BT from saying everything is fine when it might not be.

Like I have already said I have had to resort to buying another completely different branded router only product to rule out it being a router issue, its a shame that the Smart Hub doesn't have an expert mode which allows the user to allow for ICMP pings.

Granted we have the DMZ, but I don't really want to setup a server just to allow for ICMP ping responses.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM #3

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 28-Apr-17 12:34:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Apr-17 12:32:28
Print Post

My money is on your router

There is the question too that are you seeing anything actually impacting on the service, ICMP is designed to be a low priority protocol so when software in routers gets busy it is put on hold, and it may be that in your case the router is just dropping them periodically.

So when you see your next block you need to run some outbound ping and traceroute testing to see if this is a service impact event or just phantom

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Apr-17 12:42:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My money is on your router

There is the question too that are you seeing anything actually impacting on the service, ICMP is designed to be a low priority protocol so when software in routers gets busy it is put on hold, and it may be that in your case the router is just dropping them periodically.

So when you see your next block you need to run some outbound ping and traceroute testing to see if this is a service impact event or just phantom

I was at one point wondering if it was the router due to it is very new and only become available on 26 Aug. 2016 it also has some other small issues, so another braded router might be good.

I have always missed when the actual spikes happen, but its due to happen very soon, so I might run some pings and tracroutes in a loop.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM #3
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to