General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Apr-17 20:28:17
Print Post

Re: What could cause these packet loss spikes?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Well I know its only been running for just under a day, but you can already see that there is a lot different in this new graph and what I had on the last router.

On the last router before it got the spikes every 6 or so hours you would see loads of red dots at the top throughout the day, I know that's about <1% packet loss, but its a packet loss.

Now on this graph for this new router there is none apart from the 3 small ones at the start but none since 3am.

Also the latency has also settled as well.

So there is definitely a good change so far, so maybe it was a firmware issue on the last router, so I am crossing my fingers for 6 to 10 days time smile

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 30-Apr-17 21:08:11
Print Post

Or maybe just a more powerful processor with more time to spare responding to pings.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63595/13726Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Apr-17 21:13:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Or maybe just a more powerful processor with more time to spare responding to pings.

Yes, this I suspect, when handling a WAN speed of 300mbps. I wouldn't be surprised if the design spec for most routers WAN ports would be the VDSL range upto 80, maybe 100mbps. The FTTP range of 300mbps does cause many ARM CPUs a challenge.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 9th Apr 17: 56,605/9,592 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Apr-17 21:59:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well I was also wondering this before I ordered it, however AVM told me via Twitter its will be fine.
Hello, the FRITZ!Box 4040 is powerful enough to handle your 330Mbps via its WAN Port. We can supply further information here: https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-4040/kno...

The WIFI-speed is like it is displayed in this table: https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-4040/kno... The speed depends on your terminal device.

I think its like was Andrew said, just a firmware issue, but either way that router might be the cause of the issue, I guess I will find out in 7 to 10 days, but it does look promising so far.

TBH, I must of got a pre-launch version due to their marketing launch was on the April 25th 2017, so its very new.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Apr-17 22:32:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Yes, this I suspect, when handling a WAN speed of 300mbps. I wouldn't be surprised if the design spec for most routers WAN ports would be the VDSL range upto 80, maybe 100mbps. The FTTP range of 300mbps does cause many ARM CPUs a challenge.

Well its possible, I just checked the specs, but I am either blind or the processor info isn't listed.

But I took their word that it would be fine om my connection where they replied it would be fine, even when I told them the connection speed.

Like I replied above to Rob, I have just notice it had a market launch 5 days ago and I had already had mine for a few weeks before that.

So I am assuming now that their will be some issues at first.
I know it has Wi-Fi issues where it just drops connections now and then, and that packet loss etc

Also I have also found out its not really meant for the UK, I was just lucky Amazon had one in stock from a seller.

It was just strange that its fine for around 7 days then starts spiking every 6 hours around the time it first connected.

But this new Linksys WRT 3200 ACM-UK has a 1.8 GHz DUAL-CORE CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU) according to the specs.

*** update ***
You might be right, I just looked in the latest firmware and I can see a mention of a Dual ARM Cortex A9, not sure if that's what's in there.

I could open it up and see if need be, I probably won't be sending it back and if it comes down to it, I could always run it as a Wireless AP.

*** update 2 ***
Just opened it up and its using a IPQ4018 which is a Quad Core ARM Cortex A7 running at 717MHz.

[IPQ4018 SoC]
Wave-2 802.11ac SoC for Routers, Gateways and Access Points

Specs here more info here (PDF)

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 01-May-17 00:13:54)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-May-17 10:49:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Well its possible, I just checked the specs, but I am either blind or the processor info isn't listed.

I'll have a look at that PDF, but the normal issue is that running 300mbps through NAT via the CPU can be the problem without hardware assistance. You may have luck looking in one of the gigabit ISP forums (B4RN, HyperOptic etc) as those customers have issues using most retail routers.

Its normally the NAT that overloads the CPU - its unclear if you need an Intel Core i3/i5 or similar as you find in enterprise Cisco/Juniper kit, or any of the ARM CPUs originally designed for low power and now mostly in phones.

Number of cores generally doesn't help, as routing / NATting is a single threaded activity.

The CPU spec information tells you what it can do, but doesn't tell you how fast it can route or NAT from WAN to LAN or vice versa.

On the smallnetbuilder site, there is a report that the 3200 ACM can do 500mbps WAN to LAN throughput (I assume hardware assisted NAT) at a max speed of 521 mbps.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/...

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 9th Apr 17: 56,605/9,592 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM

Edited by jchamier (Mon 01-May-17 10:53:35)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-May-17 12:02:49
Print Post

Well as far as I can see IPQ4018 is a SOC (System on Chip) with all the router stuff (like 5 port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, Dual Band Wireless, Hardware NAT engine, plus more) embedded inside, also included is the Quad Core ARM Cortex A7 running at 717MHz.

I don't think its a hardware issue, but more of a firmware issue.

Paul

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-May-17 12:35:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Well as far as I can see IPQ4018 is a SOC (System on Chip) with all the router stuff (like 5 port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, Dual Band Wireless, Hardware NAT engine, plus more) embedded inside, also included is the Quad Core ARM Cortex A7 running at 717MHz.

Yes, they all are, have been since the original Linksys BEFSR41 which I had on my NTL cable modem. (imported from US). However the BEFSR41 could not cope with any faster than 20mbps WAN speed.

I don't think its a hardware issue, but more of a firmware issue.

If you mean firmware in the Qualcomm SoC then maybe, but if you mean firmware as in the Linksys (aka Buffalo) decisions, then also maybe.

My old ASUS RT-N66U was tested with a WAN to LAN via IPv4 NAT at 500mbps with hardware support enabled. However if the hardware support was disabled (e.g. you used advanced features that needed to look at packets, such as QoS or filtering) then the WAN to LAN data rate dropped to 150mbps maximum. This was tested by small net builder using test rig on each side of the device.

PPP adds overhead that requires the CPU to encapsulate each packet, which is one reason some ISPs now don't use it (the biggest being notably Sky) as their networks do not have to host other ISPs. BTwholesale has no choice. The "MER" is just a login based around authenticated DHCP.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-May-17 14:22:45
Print Post

I was referring firmware issue to the IPQ4018 SoC that is in the last router (i.e. FRITZ!Box 4040) the one that had all the packet loss spikes ever 6 hours after several days of fine connectivity.

I have read loads of people having issues with the Linksys WRT 3200 ACM router, but it seems fine to me so far apart from IPv6 not working.

But that is probably down to having the wrong setting set for it and I was waiting for the full 7 to 10 days to verify not packet loss was happening on this router first.

There was some faffing about on this Linksys router to get working, whereas the Fritz 4040 apart from the username, it all worked out of the box.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Aug-17 11:49:15
Print Post

Ok, I was just told via twitter that the FritzBox 4040 has a throughput from WAN to LAN of between 900Mbit to 940Mbit and sent me this link:
https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-4040/kno...

But I am very happy with my Linksys WRT 3200 ACM, not long setup DDNS so minimal down time when BT changes the Dynamic IP.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to