General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GrampaSimpson
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 00:42:08
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 link with massive packet loss

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

MrSaffron kindly responded and asked me:

What does a sequence of out bound pings look like? Especially to the first IP hop outside of your LAN.

Hence, my response together with the ping results, with the address of the 1st hop outside my LAN removed for privacy.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-May-17 01:35:21
Print Post

[re: GrampaSimpson] [link to this post]

The first hop outside your LAN is Hop 2 of a tracert. Hop 1 is the entry/exit point of your LAN and part of it, I believe you have simply misunderstood what MrSaffron requested.

If the address you hid started with 192.168.... then it is part of your LAN. See this link. Endind with .254 instead of .1 is also very common. Ending in .0 is also frequently seen.

The router then assigns a LAN address to every piece of your kit that you connect to it to form your LAN. Think of the router being a tree with its root being the external internet and it's branches being your LAN. Because of that relationship all addresses on your LAN also start with 192.168.1 or 192.168.0.

If you took that 192.168. address to be the first hop outside your LAN, you were mistaken.

Anyway, if you still refuse to give a simple copy and paste of a tracert to bbc.co.uk with no pre-editing then nobody here can help. I won't even try any more.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 06-May-17 01:36:00)

(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 03:29:00
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 link with massive packet loss *DELETED*

Post deleted by GrampaSimpson

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 06:26:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The first hop outside your LAN is Hop 2 of a tracert. Hop 1 is the entry/exit point of your LAN and part of it, I believe you have simply misunderstood what MrSaffron requested.

I believed that I had provided MrSaffron with the exact information he requested. I regret that you have misinterpreted my response to him, and have introduced tracert which was not part of his question. He asked for the ping to the 1st hop outside my LAN. That's what I posted.
If the address you hid started with 192.168.... then it is part of your LAN. See this link. Endind with .254 instead of .1 is also very common. Ending in .0 is also frequently seen.

The router then assigns a LAN address to every piece of your kit that you connect to it to form your LAN. Think of the router being a tree with its root being the external internet and it's branches being your LAN. Because of that relationship all addresses on your LAN also start with 192.168.1 or 192.168.0.

If you took that 192.168. address to be the first hop outside your LAN, you were mistaken.

I simply cannot understand why you are failing to accept what I have posted. At no point have I said that I took any 192.168.. address as being outside my LAN. The address outside my LAN was in the public domain- I removed it to protect my privacy. What is so difficult to understand about what I have said in that regard?

Anyway, if you still refuse to give a simple copy and paste of a tracert to bbc.co.uk with no pre-editing then nobody here can help.

I've not "refused" to provide any information. Regrettably I have been trying to address your misunderstandings/misinterpretations of what I have written, and of MrSaffron's request for information, and have therefore not been able to move on to perform such a tracert, as your responses are confusing me at best, and appeared quite combative at worst. As to your assertion that "then nobody here can help", I trust/hope that you are not speaking for every thinkbroadband subscriber and member of this forum, and that your approach is not reflective of a resource that I had found very useful and which I assumed welcomed legitimate questions around what could be gleaned from the Broadband Quality Monitor. If, in fact, you are the "Supreme Leader" here, then I have clearly misunderstood the forum/site's level of helpfulness amd regret having bothered to present my enquiry in the first place.
I won't even try any more.

That would probably be best. Thank you.
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 12:06:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, there's definitely something strange going on. If it was just some equipment throwing away ping packets that wouldn't be too bad, but the internet service is simply unusable much of the time. Already this morning, I've had to do 3 reconnects, streaming TV is buffering constantly and that's on an alleged 90/20 connection!

As to the physical wires etc., it's all been checked out and I'm told its all fine. The router's been changed out with a new replacement put in its place. The port in the cabinet to which I'm connected has been changed. All to no avail. I had hoped that there was some 'hidden' picture in the BQM graphs that someone might have been able to elicit. Alas, it seems not.

Ill leave it at that. Thanks for your efforts.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-May-17 12:10:53
Print Post

Sorry for the lengthy cycle you got stuck in...

To illustrate precisely what I meant and what I believe you actually did...

C:\Windows\system32>tracert www.thinkbroadband.com

Tracing route to www.thinkbroadband.com
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  my-router [192.168.0.1]
  2    20 ms    20 ms    23 ms  telehouse-gw5-lo1.idnet.net [212.69.63.39] - first hop beyond the LAN
  3    20 ms    20 ms    20 ms  telehouse-gw8-v525.idnet.net [212.69.63.88]

I said 'first hop beyond LAN' because some people may have two or more LAN hops e.g. double NAT scenarios and the 14ms latency seen suggested to me that poster was pinging something outside their local LAN.

As for while its going from 14ms to packet loss with no delayed packets, cannot say for sure, if this was a UK user I'd say borrow someone elses hardware and test it, or if router has Ethernet WAN try a different VDSL2 modem. My feeling is that we may be seeing a router that is behaving oddly, could be the router in the home, or some other device since at the IP layer we don't see everything. If it was errors on the VDSL2 line, then one of the error correction methods should mean the odd packet gets corrected and arrives a little delayed, which is not happening.

One possibility is that an ISP has some congestion management that is VERY BAD, and rather than queuing and thus given varying performance before things timeout is actively rejecting some packets at peak time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 12:33:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that very helpful reply.

Yeah, I got that abt. the 1st hop, and that's what I posted.

On your suggestion re. borrowing other gear, I do have a neighbour who is also on a VDSL2 service, albeit with a different provider. I may have a think about borrowing his gear one of the days he's at work next week. I handle his internal IT stuff for him anyway so it might just be 'payback time'. However, I'll need to ensure that its not locked down to his supplier like some of the router/modem equipment often is over here.

Unfortunately, your last para. is a distinct possibility but if that is the case, getting to the bottom of it will not be easy!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to