General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Aug-17 07:25:57
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 link with massive packet loss

[re: GrampaSimpson] [link to this post]

If the drop and reconnection of the PPP session fixes things and the VDSL2 side has remained up all the time then it points then this points to there being no problem with the VDSL2 but maybe an issue with the provider itself...

Providers have multiple entry points to their network for broadband customers, and these can be run congested and when you reconnect the PPP session you may be reconnecting to a different gateway and it may be that you are being given a randomly better one.

The nuclear solution if everything points to the VDSL2 being OK is to change provider

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GrampaSimpson
(newbie) Tue 22-Aug-17 19:48:22
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 link with massive packet loss

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Mr Saffron.

If I could be sure the issue was in the provider's core network, then I'd go the nuclear route.

I'd need to be satisfied that the line engineers who came out and pronounced everything as OK did a proper job before making the pronouncement. I was very unimpressed with the level of testing that appeared to be done. They literally only spent a few minutes in the house, and looked at the 3 measurements on their Megger as described. I would have expected that a much more exhaustive level of testing would have been employed, and not just 3 variables. The line engineers here in Ireland work for the company that owns the copper lines and basically seem to expend the least effort dealing with issues where a re-seller is involved as in my case.

So I could switch to another provider and have exactly the same issue(s), but maybe that's the only way forward.

Edited by GrampaSimpson (Tue 22-Aug-17 19:58:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to