General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Troter3
(newbie) Fri 26-May-17 11:30:20
Print Post

ADSL 2+

[link to this post]

Can anyone show me a Broadband Quality Monitor for a ADSL 2+ connection? At this moment I have virgin broadband with the SHUB 3 which is not good for gaming. My only other option is ADSL, I live about 3km for my exchange but have no idea what this would be like for gaming? I would only have my PC connected for gaming which I believe does not use much bandwidth but wish to improve my latency. What is gaming like on ADSL? What latency would I expect?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-May-17 11:46:43
Print Post

Re: ADSL 2+

[re: Troter3] [link to this post]

See this page on the thinkbroadband Main Site, and/or click either "BQM" in my sig for a real life example running 24/7.

To create one you need to register and log in on the Main Site, but you can use the same nick and password as long as no-one already has the nick there.

Edit: It should work for your VM connection here and now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63018/13016Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 26-May-17 11:54:11)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-May-17 14:07:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Troter is asking what the response times are like on ADSL2+ rather than wanting to use BQM on existing connection.

ADSL2+ latency very much depends on distance and what level of interleaving gets applied to the line. In my experience it was always pretty stable - not as low as FTTC but it was always fine for gaming - but that was on a reasonably stable line. In the end it is line dependent so how other lines perform won't potentially tell you much about your own.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-May-17 14:51:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Note my mention of his connection was an edit, made to tell him that if he isn't familiar with it he can try it.

As for the difference between ADSLx and FTTC, my FTTC latency has mainly been almost exactly the same as it was on ADSL2+, but is now about 6ms higher and has been for months.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63018/13016Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-May-17 16:56:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Please don't try to teach me how to suck eggs. If you wish to give the OP more information than I have given, please don't tell me things you must know I already know. Tell the poster.
In reply to a post by ian72:
Troter is asking what the response times are like on ADSL2+ rather than wanting to use BQM on existing connection.
The OP's opening question was "Can anyone show me a Broadband Quality Monitor for a ADSL 2+ connection?" I answered it. I added an edit, as you can see, that simply pointed out that if Troter was not aware of the thinkbroadband BQM then it would also run on their VM connection, so they could see how they liked it. However it is quite likely that they are already running it on that. Mine is of course running on FTTC but that makes no difference to the principle.
ADSL2+ latency very much depends on distance and what level of interleaving gets applied to the line. In my experience it was always pretty stable - not as low as FTTC but it was always fine for gaming - but that was on a reasonably stable line. In the end it is line dependent so how other lines perform won't potentially tell you much about your own.
Why are you telling me this. You should be telling the OP. Their post has a "Reply" button. I did not even try to answer the gaming question as I don't do internet gaming. It is of no interest to me. However I have pointed out, in my previous post, that my experience of latency is the opposite of yours.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-May-17 16:59:20
Print Post

I think you may have misunderstood, I take it they are wanting to see how an ADSL2+ connection is looking in terms of latency/jitter as considering jumping ship from Virgin Media

Will try and find some ADSL2+ ones and also see if can find one at a rough 3km distance later once I am not tied to my phone

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-May-17 17:10:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I didn't misunderstand the OP Andrew, as you can see from my first reply. I merely answered the first question asking for a BQM for ADSL2+.

Then as well as the page for that I suggested a look at mine to see one in action rather than static on a descriptive page. I didn't feel it necessary to point out at the time that my connection happens to be FTTC. In the same way as the page I linked to and the detail page that links to don't mention the type of connection at all.

I didn't address the second question re gaming latency as I don't do gaming and didn't want to get into a long explanation of the theory of latency. I thought it best to leave that entirely to a gamer smile.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-May-17 18:24:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Troter3:
Can anyone show me a Broadband Quality Monitor for a ADSL 2+ connection? At this moment I have virgin broadband with the SHUB 3 which is not good for gaming. My only other option is ADSL, I live about 3km for my exchange but have no idea what this would be like for gaming? I would only have my PC connected for gaming which I believe does not use much bandwidth but wish to improve my latency. What is gaming like on ADSL? What latency would I expect?

The SHUB3 is probably causing most of the problems.

ADSL and VDSL / FTTC are often quite similar in latency. With 20 pings (ICMP ECHO) to bbc.co.uk from my WIn10 PC I get responses in 11ms.

My BQM is here:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Its the green and blue traces that are most of interest, the yellow spikes just show the connection being used. Red shows packet loss or the connection dropping.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Standard User Troter3
(newbie) Fri 26-May-17 19:06:54
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your replies people. Are you saying the yellow spikes on the graph are nothing to worry about? They were never there when I had my SHUB 2, think its the puma 6 problem?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-May-17 21:03:42
Print Post

The ones on mine can be ignored. On yours it depends if you're using the connection at that time.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 27-May-17 17:17:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

If the blue average is unchanged then generally just the jitter issues or puma issue and usually of little effect, i.e. cable always looks work than xDSL on the BQM.

Generally ADSL performs well latency wise and should be stable so long as backhaul is WBC or LLU based, which if in an area with virgin cable is more than likely.

You will need to remember though that if you start trying to do things like voice chat in addition to game play you may place some stress on the upstream side.

TIP Go for a provider with a 1 month contract and try it, and only cancel the virgin (though I'd be tempted to keep it for the larger downloads still)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-May-17 09:41:22
Print Post

Many thanks for your reply RobertoS - wasn't trying to teach you to such eggs but like MrS I thought you may have missed a key part of the question.

I am not sure how your response answered:
The OP's opening question was "Can anyone show me a Broadband Quality Monitor for a ADSL 2+ connection?" I answered it.

You linked to the home page for BQM which as far as I can see has no way to search for ADSL2+ graphs and you mentioned your own BQM which is FTTC. So, I don't believe the question around ADSL2+ was answered which is why I posted additional information.

Apologies for upsetting you but I was merely giving further information answering the OPs question.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to