General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fishpan
(regular) Fri 02-Jun-17 18:43:14
Print Post

How to get BQM working on IPv6?

[link to this post]

Newly migrated to Sky today and immediately got about setting up a new BQM for the connection. Now when I set up a IPv4 BQM it works fine and I can see the pings coming through. When I set up a IPv6 BQM, its 100% packet loss (red block).

Sky Q Hub atm is my modem and router. WAN ping for both v4 and v6 are enabled. Firewall is on default. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the long IPv6 address but since I am new to it, I am not sure which part I need to put in to make the IPv6 BQM work.

I'm sure there's a simple solution somewhere. Thanks

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20 - sync 72200/19999 around 450m
MyDSLWebStats: fishpan
ISP Hx: Freeserve 48k > Wanadoo 56k > Tiscali 8mbps > TalkTalk 40/10 > Plusnet 80/20 > VM 200/20 > Plusnet 80/20
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Jun-17 19:08:11
Print Post

Re: How to get BQM working on IPv6?

[re: fishpan] [link to this post]

Is the IPv6 address the one for the router or the PC?

As for which part, the full IP address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fishpan
(regular) Fri 02-Jun-17 19:11:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I believe I've used the one for the PC. When I use whatismyip.com for another device connected to router, it gives a different end to the IP address.

Would the router have a shorter IP address than my PC? Or same length? If I know this, then I can use power of deduction to sift through the convoluted Sky hub's interface and get the right address to put into the BQM.

ISP Hx: Freeserve 48k > Wanadoo 56k > Tiscali 8mbps > TalkTalk 40/10 > Plusnet 80/20 > VM 200/20 > Plusnet 80/20

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Jun-17 19:31:45
Print Post

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/what-is-my-ip should reveal what is the IPv6 address for the Internet side of things.

The PC IPv6 address will be firewalled, i.e. to avoid your PC being straight onto the Internet and open to all the nasties

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fishpan
(regular) Fri 02-Jun-17 19:35:50
Print Post

Hmm, when I access that page from my PC I get a different IP than if I accessed the page from my phone. The first half is identical however...

If it helps the sky Q hub is set to give all lan devices their own unique ipv6 address (default setting)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Jun-17 20:01:46
Print Post

Mine works like fishpan's Andrew. The thinkbroadband checker, and a "New BQM" setup see the external IPv6 of the device.

However AAISP do tell me the modem/router address they assign. So I just correct it during BQM setup.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Jun-17 21:25:29
Print Post

Run a speed test and make sure it sees you as IPv6, then share the results link, I'll figure it out and private message you the IP

Standard User fishpan
(regular) Fri 02-Jun-17 22:25:30
Print Post

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

Thanks

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 03-Jun-17 13:11:34
Print Post

any such test will report the ip of the device e.g. phone or PC.

Some routers dont even assign themselves an ipv6 address, so its possible the sky hub works like this, but if it does assign itself an address,, then maybe you can get it by logging into the hub and looking at informational pages.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Jun-17 13:58:38
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
Some routers dont even assign themselves an ipv6 address, so its possible the sky hub works like this,
Do you mean if it is set up as IPv4-only? I don't know of any SOHO routers that don't have a WAN address.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to