General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bluebottle71
(newbie) Wed 21-Jun-17 23:05:59
Print Post

Virgin 70mb, Is this normal?

[link to this post]

Been looking at my BQM for my Superhub 2AC and noticed some large latency spikes and some packet loss. There are at least 5 wifi devices connected at any one time, plus one wired games console at certain times during the day. Download speeds are okay, but often internet browsing is slow and video buffering can also be very sluggish.
Are these graphs normal, or could there be a problem?
From today
My Broadband Ping
Over the last month
My Broadband Pingŵ
My Broadband Ping
My Broadband Ping

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Jun-17 09:36:24
Print Post

Re: Virgin 70mb, Is this normal?

[re: Bluebottle71] [link to this post]

The wide yellow band is pretty normal for cable, the odd spike beyond that is pretty common too, local congestion at cabinet and node levels plus some congestion issues in the core network mean that sometimes you may be seeing latency issues due to others in an area/region/UK

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bluebottle71
(newbie) Sat 24-Jun-17 11:19:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Never used to have this issue. It is making my online gaming ping jump up from 24ms to 200-400 ms, making it unplayable. It seems to happen when someone is downloading something. Here's todays when I started a game download on the PS4.
My Broadband Ping

Again, not an issue I ever used to have.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 24-Jun-17 12:47:57
Print Post

if the game download was just after 11am then saturating download will affect the ping, since packets are delayed among all the download traffic...so moral is do not play a game while also having a large download or upload going on.

The latency issues during gaming may be a symptom of wider Virgin Media core network congestion issues, i.e. something that has been on going for a while.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Keepo
(newbie) Thu 27-Jul-17 13:59:30
Print Post

Re: Virgin 70mb, Is this normal? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Jul-17 14:23:27
Print Post

[re: Keepo] [link to this post]

Pretty sure you are just spamming - if not then I suggest you remove your signature and the URL in your profile.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Jul-17 20:13:56
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I agree and have removed it.

Print Thread

Jump to