General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Sun 23-Jul-17 22:50:52
Print Post

Help with BQM

[link to this post]

Hi, I've been having issues trying to get the BQM running on my sky fibre connection, I have a HG612 connected to an Asus AC68U running Merlin firmware.
Issue is the BQM shows a strange graph unless my Xbox One is on, the Xbox is in the DMZ to get open NAT so that leads me to think its firewall related but I've tried it with both IPv4 and IPv6 firewalls off but still the same.
I would appreciate any feedback, do I need to open ports as don't see any way to allow the URL through the firewall.
I've attached a snapshot below for folks to look at, the gaps in the red is when my Xbox is on.
Respond to ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN is enabled
Thanks in advance

I also had it running using a W9970 in bridge mode and has exact same pattern.

My Broadband Ping

Edited by gmangt4 (Sun 23-Jul-17 22:52:23)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Jul-17 12:32:21
Print Post

Re: Help with BQM

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

Without access to same connection and hardware hard to say for certain, but sonds like the DMZ option means when the DMZ is not turned on packets are getting dropped and chart shows that.

In short if you did not have the DMZ option the router would be handling the ping requests, with DMZ option it is reliant on the Xbox One.

What game actually requires you to put the Xbox One in the DMZ, as that's a rare and potentially dangerous config to use, because anyone on the Internet has full access to your Xbox One in the same way as being on the LAN.

It would be better to just map (forward) the ports in the NAT interface that the xbox game wants, generally if your have UPnP enabled on a router that should allow the Xbox to play fine online.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Mon 24-Jul-17 15:22:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for the repsonse, I have 2 Xbox One's and can only get open NAT on both by placing one in the DMZ and one using port forwarding, otherwise the consoles cant play in the same game together like Destiny or COD or Titanfall for example.
It only works correctly when the one in DMZ is on and I can't port forward the same ports to 2 consoles, thats why I use this method, had no issues on my netgear but changed to the Asus to be able to use my own router on Sky Fibre using Merlin firmware as choices where limited then.
UPnP used to work fine on my netgear for 2 consoles but get moderate NAT using UPnP on the Asus and both consoles cant play the in same multi-player game at the same time then.
I don't actually have any issues with my connection just like tinkering and the BQM is one of my tinkers.
Input is appreciated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Jul-17 16:02:27
Print Post

Okay the DMZ makes a bit more sense, might be worth digging around the tinker forums on Asus firmware as there may be a variation that works

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Mon 24-Jul-17 16:41:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, maybe I should have mentioned that but was trying to keep it as short as possible as long posts put people off lol
I think asking on the Asus forum is next
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Jul-17 18:54:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
Yes, maybe I should have mentioned that but was trying to keep it as short as possible as long posts put people off lol. I think asking on the Asus forum is next

Having two XBox's at home is the issue, as you only have ONE real internet IP address, and the router shares this. So that is why you can only port forward a port from the outside world (e.g. port 3000) to one internal XBox at a time.

I'm surprised having port forwarding for one, and DMZ for the other, actually works, as the DMZ handles all the ports you don't forward and sends to the XBox in the DMZ setting.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM

Edited by jchamier (Mon 24-Jul-17 22:24:44)

Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Mon 24-Jul-17 22:19:49
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes 2 xbox's is the issue, I've been reading on the Asus forum about instant on being an issue too so I'm going to try turning off instant on to see what the affect that has, I will also remove one xbox at a time and also disable the DMZ too I think along the way.
It's the only way I could get both to be able to join same lobby in multi player games and party chat too, its not ideal but works.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:23:13
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Would using IPv6 solve the problem?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Tue 25-Jul-17 10:32:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I already use IPv6 as xbox network status shows IPv4 and IPv6.
I have some progress after posting on Asus forum, it seems my issues was caused by placing one XB in the DMZ and using instant on with the xbox's, I turned instant on off on both and the graph went solid red, I was advised to turn off DMZ and let UPnP handle it as Merlin has fixed the issue in recent builds, I did this but no improvement, was then said I need to reboot router after turning off DMZ, one reboot done the BQM was fine. Only issue I might have now is when the second Xbox joins a game or can't.
So it was DMZ causing the issue and XB1 instant on causing the odd pattern.
Thanks for the help.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jul-17 22:30:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
So it was DMZ causing the issue and XB1 instant on causing the odd pattern.

Yes, the DMZ was causing the problem with the BQM as the Xbox was replying to the ping requests from the BQM not your router, which is normal.
The instant on was confusing things.

Good to see Merlin's fixed it so that UPnP does what you want, its really the reason UPnP was invented, for exactly this.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to