General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Aug-17 12:27:07
Print Post

BQM using DDNS Question... (RESOLVED)

[link to this post]

Does the Monitor work ok with DDNS addresses?

I ask because I have setup my own DDNS Service for my connection and both my Primary and Secondary DNS Servers are updated, I have check several other locations to see if its updated there and it was.

But what I have noticed was the latency is about twice what it was when I used an IP, I assume this is due to the extra DNS lookup?

The traceroute tool gives an average ping of 5ms, unless you are getting our server due to the DDNS record not updating to your network yet, I did set the TTL to 60 and I have it do checks every 60 seconds and if the stored IP doesn't match then update record.

I am wondering if your BQM is using the servers address, @MrSaffron can you tell me if its connecting to an address starting with 149 (our server) or an address starting with 86 (our connection), my guesses are its checking the 149 address.

Can you confirm MrSaffron?

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | FTTP Infinity 4 (DDNS) #1

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 17-Aug-17 23:28:13)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Aug-17 13:51:35
Print Post

Re: BQM using DDNS Question...

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

This is strange about 12:45 on the graph you can see the latency drop to what it normally was.

I have done a DNS Lookup of my DDNS record with several BT DNS Servers along with both of ours and they all return the IP starting with 86 which is correct, sadly Google DNS Server are hit and miss one moment its correct and then its not and its been 2 or so hours already and that's using a TTL of 60.

So it should be working fine, I just don't know why its not.

I guess I will only know what's going on when Andrew Staff checks to see what IP(s) its calling.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Aug-17 17:27:44
Print Post

OK, it "might" of been my fault and done something wrong and now I might have to wait 24 hours for the DNS cache to be refreshed.

So hopefully within 24 hours I "should" see a much lower latency and it "should" be using the correct IP.

Lucky the IP its probably using is our servers IP LOL

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Aug-17 23:27:26
Print Post

Ok, I think I have resolved it now.

It seems that for some reason Googles DNS Cache for the first DDNS Address got borked big time and that Googles DNS Server was refreshing the new information as well as the incorrect one, so it was hit and miss.

I am not too sure whos DNS Server is used when looking up the address, if its not Googles, then that might of got borked up as well for the first one.

It might also of been me doing something wrong, who knows.

Thank goodness you can change the address on the fly for the BQM now smile

I ended up setting up another DDNS Address and waited for Googles DNS Cache to all fully update and be correct, I then changed the address for the BQM to the new address and it seems to be back to normal.

Word of warning to other people doing this, make sure you are not using wildcards (i.e. *.example.com) in the DNS host file or it might break like mine did.

So all those spike drops in the latency was when it was checking my connection and the higher green line must of been the DDNS Server LOL

So I am now glad its all fine again.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
  Print Thread

Jump to