General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nmparmar
(newbie) Thu 24-Aug-17 14:43:14
Print Post

Help understanding my chart

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have virginmedia and have recently been upgraded to 300mbs, which is lovely, but to be honest, it doesn't feel anywhere near that fast. In fact, my gf had 50mb Virgin broadband, and anecdotally, it feels very much the same experience. I have had the BQM setup for some time now, but have never really understood it.

Could anybody please help me to understand my BQM chart? It doesn't really look like any of the example charts on this sites help page, but if I understand it correctly, my connection is looking generally OK, for packet loss and latency, but would be great if someone with a better understanding, could comment. I realise this doesn't measure actual bandwidth.

my live graph

On that note, what is the best way to monitor actual bandwidth I am receiving? I installed Domotz on my home NAS recently, and that is showing that I am receiving about 100mbs, in fact its never gone above that number. My NAS is connected directly to the Home Hub 3 by Ethernet cable.

Any help or suggestions most welcome.

thank you
nmparmar
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Aug-17 18:12:41
Print Post

Re: Help understanding my chart

[re: nmparmar] [link to this post]

Have you checked whether your NAS is connecting over the Ethernet cable at Gigabit speeds or just 100 Mbps?

As for actual speeds then a speed test done occasionally at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest may help.

On the BQM looks fairly standard assuming a SuperHub3 which has some ICMP/latency issues due to Intel Puma 6 bugs.

A 50 Mbps connection versus a 300 Mbps connection will probably not feel much different for web browsing and online gaming, but when downloading from say the Steam Store you should see a difference.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to