General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bolsox
(newbie) Tue 29-Aug-17 19:32:14
Print Post

Broadband quality monitor results - What does it all mean???

[link to this post]

Hi,
I have been running a quality monitor on my connection for the last couple of days and it is really quite different to what I was expecting. Please see link below.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I cannot understand what it actually means and there is nothing on the help page suggesting what it might be.

I recently upgraded my Sky Fibre Unlimited package, approximately 30/40mbps, to the Sky Fibre Max and should apparently get 70mbps (I get 32 on a good day).

Can anyone advise their thoughts please?

Kind regards,
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Tue 29-Aug-17 21:41:34
Print Post

Re: Broadband quality monitor results - What does it all mea

[re: bolsox] [link to this post]

Your link isn't working for me.
Standard User bolsox
(newbie) Tue 29-Aug-17 22:45:40
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Sorry about that.

Hopefully this one will work. Its directly off the "share" snapshot graph page

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Kind regards

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Aug-17 23:44:08
Print Post

Never seen a graph that looks like that...suggests your average latency is sky high, does ping from a PC from your network also reflect this?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Aug-17 16:12:37
Print Post

Back to basics.... can you describe the set up for your connection, what's plugged in where on the telephony side, filters etc ?

Can you get any broadband stats from the Sky router ?

Standard User bolsox
(newbie) Thu 31-Aug-17 08:49:35
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi,
I have the filters supplied with the latest sky hub in the master telephone socket and a second socket (with no phone connected in this one).
The sky hub is connected directly to the filter in the master socket. I then have an apple time capsule (gen 4) wired into the sky hub, and it was this that I was using to create my wireless network. The graph at the start of this thread was generated from my mac, connected wirelessly, and located on another floor.
Yesterday, I spent time making the sky hub the wireless network thinking that the time capsule was slowing the system down. This was based on seeing the router stats, now shown below.

Router Statistics
System Up Time: 206:14:04
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
WAN MER 4824454 7086917 0 3024 7327 69:36:02
LAN Up 20464909 12122425 20 144799 102229 206:14:04
WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 10750403 3034617 0 717336 150445 14:37:20
WLAN (5 GHz) Up 12042052 6326333 0 0 0 14:37:06
Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 73261 kbps 20000 kbps
Line Attenuation 11.9 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.3 dB 8.8 dB

My basis for this was the connection speed (from the sky router) running at the speeds I would expect them to be at.

When I first ran the speed test (off this site, wirelessly through my mac on the new sky network), it came back much improved but now it is running as before. Also, I can no longer set up a monitor that does not have 100% dropped packets. The IP address that the site automatically locates does not work?

Now I am completely at a loss! This is the problem with wading out of your depth now!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Aug-17 08:52:59
Print Post

NOTE: The BQM graphs are generated independent of any computer, the IP address should be the public Internet address your ISP has given you.

The BQM box pings this IP address, if you have done things like forward that IP or DMZ it then funky things can happy. Only then does it being a Mac and wireless become an issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Aug-17 08:55:45
Print Post

Speedtest

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http://tbb.st/1503914851618305355

Done on the 28th, no other obvious ones for you, and latency looks good. Speeds look low compared to connection speed but that may be a side effect of wireless.

The speed test has an analysis button that will show you its latency testing results in more detail.

Print Thread

Jump to