General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hyperion2017
(newbie) Tue 12-Sep-17 15:24:54
Print Post

Help interpreting my BQM

[link to this post]

Hi - I'm on Virgin SHub 2. I have a SHub 3 but have not connected it for fear of gaming issues.

Just recently my speed was increased (200mb+) but I've been having drop-outs on wifi and lan. VM engineer cam round yesterday, replaced an attenuator, we did a speedtest and got:

ping: 11, D/L: 230, U/L 12

I then checked it later and D/L had dropped to 1!

So I set up a BQM, but I'm not sure how to interpret it. Note, 1 am is when I switched by PC off. Not sure why packet loss spikes heavily there?
My Broadband Ping
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Sep-17 16:16:19
Print Post

Re: Help interpreting my BQM

[re: hyperion2017] [link to this post]

Spiking when PC is off may be the superhub knowing not much is connected so no giving priority to replying to pings

Other than the spike of packet loss at 8pm from then to 1am the graph looks good for a cable connection i.e. the usual jitter

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 13-Sep-17 09:44:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. It's odd because the PC was turned off around the same time last night and there's no major spiking this time.

My Broadband Ping

Also, there appears to be some consistent, low-level packet loss. Is that normal/acceptable?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Sep-17 10:08:03
Print Post

Does this packet loss show up when you ping a host for a period of time?

i.e. need to double check its not just an oddity in how the router is handling the ping replies to the ping box

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 15-Sep-17 13:32:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

HI MrSaffron - how would I test that, please? Just repeatedly ping 8.8.8.8 or something for a few mins, or use some kind of tool?

I will have time to do this at the weekend.

By the way, the problems I've been having can be seen in this BQM - from around 10 pm the connection was terrible. Router power cycled today at just gone 10.15 and packet loss stops all of a sudden.

My Broadband Ping
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Sep-17 16:40:41
Print Post

ping -n 100 pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com

The 100 is how many pings, and then when it finishes it displays a summary, need to use a common prompt window, since if run from the RUN prompt the window closes when finished.

Print Thread

Jump to