General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TP22
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 07:19:17
Print Post

Packet Loss Spikes

[link to this post]

I set up my Broadband Quality Monitor yesterday. The graph for the last 24 hours shows a large spike of packet loss, not at random, but at regular intervals . I am also experiencing intermittent loss of internet connection.

My question is why is my router losing packets at regular intervals rather than randomly? Does this suggest anything definite that I can talk to the internet provider about?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Oct-17 09:06:15
Print Post

Re: Packet Loss Spikes

[re: TP22] [link to this post]

Can you link to the graph so that we can see it?

Also, is there anything in your house on a regular timer? Local interference could cause spikes - or it could be something along the route that turns on at regular intervals and causes interference to the line. But, seeing the graph may help us.

Edited by ian72 (Tue 03-Oct-17 09:07:44)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Oct-17 09:55:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

SamKnows boxes produce regular spikes due to the regular testing that goes on too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Oct-17 10:12:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hadn't thought of that. Have a Samknows box but afraid I don't use the BQM...
Standard User TP22
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 11:11:59
Print Post

[[url="http://url="http://[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/dce839651326ecbdaa25ccd0e2faf344d98aa614]My Broadband Ping"]"]url="http://My Broadband Ping"]

Here's a link to my broadband activity. As you can see, I hope, there are regular spikes of packet loss.

Can you make sense of it please?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Oct-17 12:14:44
Print Post

As MrS suggested, do you have a Samknows box?
Standard User TP22
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 12:24:21
Print Post

No. I've no idea what a Samknows box is.

We have nothing in the house that is switching on at regular intervals, day and night. The fridge stays on all the time, but it switches on irregularly of course. I can't think of any reason for the regular interruption of my wifi connection - at least nothing under my control.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Oct-17 15:45:30
Print Post

NOTE: The BQM is NOT testing your wireless but the cable modem link up to the cable modem (or router if running modem in bridge mode)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TP22
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 15:58:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Does that mean the information on the BQM graph is absolutely useless in establishing why the internet connection is intermittent?

If you have seen the graph I posted on the forum this morning, can you suggest any reason why the packet losses are so regular and whether that's a clue to the loss of my internet connection? I was intending to show the graph to the Virgin Media technician when he comes tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Oct-17 16:47:15
Print Post

Hadn't realised it is Virgin. I believe there were some issues with the Virgin Superhubs that could cause that on graphs in the past but I'm not with Virgin so no personal experience. The way Virgin works is very different to FTTC so may change people's thoughts on the issue.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Oct-17 18:51:49
Print Post

It is testing your Internet connection, but not the WiFi element, that would need some software installed on a device running the WiFi link.

So if your issue is intermitment Wi-Fi issues then this is not the right tool, but others such as http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest would be more useful.

Yes seen the graph, and its so regular that its a bit of software kicking off a download or upload, or maybe the superhub doing some housekeeping

Standard User sjzurek
(newbie) Wed 04-Oct-17 21:12:39
Print Post

For some time I had the same problem. Bad connection in regular intervals. I could even hear faint noise with the quiet line test. Obviously there was some interference. I have set radio on my mobile phone to some quiet place with no station (AM medium range). All of the sudden I started to hear the regular noise. I thought "Got ya!" Now I can start looking for the source. I took me a while, but I found it. It turned out my old back boiler had faulty valve (the solenoid). Every time it burned gas, the valve was generating wide frequency noise.
My landlord agreed to replace for a modern high efficiency boiler. It was so old that no parts were available. My broadband was fixed and my gas bill went down. A win-win smile
What I want to say in this story is that you can't rule out anything, because it's unlikely. Use all your available resources and to get to the bottom of the problem.
Good luck!
sjz
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to