General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Nov-17 16:09:39
Print Post

Continuous packet loss shown on BQM

[link to this post]

I have been getting packet loss reported on BQM for 2 months.
My Broadband Ping

I am having difficulty finding out what the problem might be. I have been working with Zen who have no idea. Line has been checked out by BTOR and passed with flying colours.
Outgoing traceroute from my desktop shows no packet loss.

A test id from Zen (using a different ip address) shows no problem. Zen have said that it is a problem with my ip, and that it is my responsibility to fix it, because I own that ip

Can anyone suggest where to go next?

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Nov-17 17:08:55
Print Post

Re: Continuous packet loss shown on BQM

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

You don't own the IP address, whoever said that is reading from a bluffers guide.

If outbound tracert (which may not show everything) is clean, and you have the extent of packet loss the graph shows the suggestion is that your modem or router is messing things up e.g. DoS protection can drop packages causing this sort of effect. QoS controls can also cause issues, as this may lead to buffering packets sometimes.

Was the test ID across the same identical hardware, and Zen backhaul network?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Wed 22-Nov-17 18:48:52
Print Post

Have you unplugged everything except your router from the xDSL connection for a couple of hours to see if that changes the BQM?

How complex is your LAN, brief description may help.

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Nov-17 10:18:18
Print Post

If you "own" the IP then where did you get it from? If Zen are providing the connection then they would be providing the IP even if it is a static. I assume the BQM is actually pointing at the router on your Zen connection?
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Nov-17 12:05:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You don't own the IP address, whoever said that is reading from a bluffers guide.

If outbound tracert (which may not show everything) is clean, and you have the extent of packet loss the graph shows the suggestion is that your modem or router is messing things up e.g. DoS protection can drop packages causing this sort of effect. QoS controls can also cause issues, as this may lead to buffering packets sometimes.

Was the test ID across the same identical hardware, and Zen backhaul network?

This was from one of the faults team

The problem has occurred when everything but the router is disconnected using two of the Zen routers - Fritzbox 3490 - in the test socket

The test id was the identical setup

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Nov-17 12:18:03
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
Have you unplugged everything except your router from the xDSL connection for a couple of hours to see if that changes the BQM?

How complex is your LAN, brief description may help.

Ian

Yes, everything but the router in the test socket overnight, so the network probably isn't a factor.

The problem isn't apparent on ipv6

David

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Nov-17 12:23:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
If you "own" the IP then where did you get it from? If Zen are providing the connection then they would be providing the IP even if it is a static. I assume the BQM is actually pointing at the router on your Zen connection?

I agree, but Zen has insisted that the ip address is mine and that any problems associated with that address is mine to sort out

David

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Nov-17 13:20:27
Print Post

Recommend looking at the routing involved (with their multiple backhaul networks it may or may not be obvious if there are differences).

IPv6 is not guaranteed to have the same router as IPv4

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Nov-17 14:08:04
Print Post

You didn't answer the question. Is this an IP address provided by Zen for your Internet connection? If it is then either they are talking complete rubbish or you have misunderstood what they said.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Nov-17 14:22:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
You didn't answer the question. Is this an IP address provided by Zen for your Internet connection? If it is then either they are talking complete rubbish or you have misunderstood what they said.

+1
Also not sure if the OP has just the 1 Static IP or a block of them, if they have more than one, maybe they could try another IP in that block.

My younger brother is with Zen and has a block of 8 Static IP's.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to