General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Nov-17 16:00:46
Print Post

Re: Continuous packet loss shown on BQM

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Recommend looking at the routing involved (with their multiple backhaul networks it may or may not be obvious if there are differences).

IPv6 is not guaranteed to have the same router as IPv4

Unfortunately they say that there is no problem in their network and have closed the problem

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Nov-17 16:09:00
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Just the one ip. Having had a clear connection with their test ip, I asked for an alternative address. They said that they don't do that, and that my ip is mine alone. They did suggest that I cough up £30 for a block of 5

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Nov-17 16:14:10
Print Post

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

It is Zen's IP that they have statically assigned to you. If there is a problem with routing to the IP then it is their problem to solve - if changing to another of their IPs fixed the issue then it is definitely their problem to resolve. It appears they are giving you the runaround.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Nov-17 16:24:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

They say that they see no problem, and that they are not prepared to accept the BQM graph as evidence

David

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Nov-17 17:00:06
Print Post

That is different to them saying it is because it is your IP. They have proven though that changing the IP fixes it so presumably it is routing somewhere in their network and the new IP is routed via a different switch fabric. It is possible it is an overloaded switch somewhere in their network that is setting the BQM traffic as lower priority - nothing significantly wrong with that if it is treating other important traffic correctly. In the real world you may see absolutely no impact from this and therefore from Zen's perspective they see nothing service impacting to fix.

If you could reproduce an issue with a "real world" use rather than just monitoring then it may be a different story.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Nov-17 17:20:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukwiz:
Just the one ip. Having had a clear connection with their test ip, I asked for an alternative address. They said that they don't do that, and that my ip is mine alone. They did suggest that I cough up £30 for a block of 5

Ouch.

Not too sure if anyone has asked this, but your BQM IP Address used.
Is it an IPv4 or IPv6 Address?

TBB might auto detect the IPv6 address, In my BQM I am using a domain address that points to an IPv4 Address over my own DDNS Server due to BT refuse to give me a Static IP.

Have you also tried a different Modem / Router, I know I had issues with routers on my connection which had loads of Packet Loss on my FritzBox which I am not seeing at all on my new Linksys WRT 3200 ACM.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Nov-17 17:33:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
It is Zen's IP that they have statically assigned to you. If there is a problem with routing to the IP then it is their problem to solve - if changing to another of their IPs fixed the issue then it is definitely their problem to resolve. It appears they are giving you the runaround.

Agreed, when ever I have spoken to Zen Support I have always had a good experience with them, seems the OP was unlucky and ended up with an idiot that had no clue.

While the user is responsible to what they use the IP for, if there is any issues then the ISP should all possible tests to resolve the issue and if changing the IP resolves the issue then great.
If not than change it back to the old one and look into other possible reasons what could be causing it.

If the supplied IP is assigned to a domain address then Zen could give out an additional IP temporally which they do tests.

TBH, I would try another Modem / Router, it might be that or just a routing issue, I know Zen has messed up with my brothers connection, when he was here in East London they had his connection routed up north and then back down to London, so his latency isn't that good frown

So Zen can and do mess up now and then as do other ISP's.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Nov-17 10:37:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Ouch.

Not too sure if anyone has asked this, but your BQM IP Address used.
Is it an IPv4 or IPv6 Address?

TBB might auto detect the IPv6 address, In my BQM I am using a domain address that points to an IPv4 Address over my own DDNS Server due to BT refuse to give me a Static IP.

The address is an ipv4 address. I also have a monitor on my ipv6 address - which shows no problems
Have you also tried a different Modem / Router, I know I had issues with routers on my connection which had loads of Packet Loss on my FritzBox which I am not seeing at all on my new Linksys WRT 3200 ACM.

The FritzBox cannot cope with more than 1 or 2 monitoring sessions, at a time. According to AVM:

A mechanism in the FRITZ!Box protects against a threat of a so-called "denial of service (DoS) attack" that only allows a defined number of ICMP packets (e.g. "pings") to be replied within a certain time frame and discards the others

David

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Nov-17 10:43:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
While the user is responsible to what they use the IP for, if there is any issues then the ISP should all possible tests to resolve the issue and if changing the IP resolves the issue then great.
If not than change it back to the old one and look into other possible reasons what could be causing it.

I used a test id from Zen to check, and suddenly there was no packet loss. That was when I asked for a replacement ip which was turned down

David

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Nov-17 10:51:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukwiz:
The address is an ipv4 address. I also have a monitor on my ipv6 address - which shows no problems
The FritzBox cannot cope with more than 1 or 2 monitoring sessions, at a time. According to AVM:

A mechanism in the FRITZ!Box protects against a threat of a so-called "denial of service (DoS) attack" that only allows a defined number of ICMP packets (e.g. "pings") to be replied within a certain time frame and discards the others
As you are using a Fritz router that probably has the same defence. What happens to your IPv4 BQM if you disable the IPv6 one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 25-Nov-17 10:52:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to