General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-18 22:23:10
Print Post

BQM ISP denial

[link to this post]

h i need opinon on BQM 35/10 vdsl2+ pulse8 isp recently i was on cable so new to dsl but the think BB BQM showing
WORSE than the virgin media jitterbug i just left ,, its of the scale now .. i checked on bt wholesale line checker
says i have no nte5 ido it also says i have a bridge tap U for unknown i only have the master socket . but do live in small block 20 flats this is bad but am getting bandwith promised
pulse8 say no probs checks are fine ! [censored] there is an issue on my line look there saying i will have to pay for bt engineer if my side ( its not my side my cabling arrangement etc is properly installed all shielded and away from RF in small flat these BQM stats are indisputable in my view. my modem snr margin is 19.5 down 0 up ?could be dslm measures as i had on of router when cabling , but took out dsl lead?
please let me know what you think of these BQMS
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

lookforward to your response
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-18 08:58:45
Print Post

Re: BQM ISP denial

[re: dcm12] [link to this post]

And when it is busy there is absolutely nothing happening on your line? You aren't doing any streaming, downloads, etc - everything is turned off to ensure there are no big OS updates or anything running?
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-18 09:28:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

correct it looks like my ine is being used indeed ? i must say my new netgear XR500 internet light is constantly flashing busy , when no use is going on its my set up no other people in my flat .
i use echo life modem hg612 bridge mode . lan 1 lan2 is wired in from router to acessHG612
it wouldent work if settings went correct i think there are a lot of logs in neatgear saying failed mail server i will look into that , but im getting my mail on pc also EN wired ,
The flashing internet light doesent look right also the LAN 1 from modem is same flashing constent
but DSL is solid green not a flicker .
thanks for response.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Apr-18 09:50:30
Print Post

So many things, so much confusion.

Strip things down to the basics, i.e. just one cable to HG612 and turn off the wireless on Netgear.

Ensure all NAS/file sharing/remote admin/emailing of logs is disabled in the router.

A router should not be reporting failed mail server and this suggests its trying to do something, so may be constantly trying to send some email.

To be honest this does look like a local load issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-18 18:24:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

hi thanks i agree and agree i like basics routing indeed i dont use wireless , local load i have no file sharing , going on the log in router is sending a couple server request a minute to a failed smpte outgoing mail server which i must have wrong thought it was just icloud.
dont know what to put in there properly yet .
that wouldn't acount for my of the scale BQM looking worse than virgin media super hub 3 of the scale latenceys i will try your suggestions now im back home

thanks
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-18 18:33:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by dcm12:
a failed smpte outgoing mail server which i must have wrong thought it was just icloud. dont know what to put in there properly yet .

You could turn off emailing of logs for now. But if you must, its quite complicated using an iCloud email from a non Apple application. Here are the links you will need:

See this page at Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202304

See this page at Netgear: https://kb.netgear.com/29909/Configuring-Email-notif...

For the ICLOUD SMTP server you will need to put smtp.mail.me.com

For the port number you will need to put 587

You will need to tick the box "my server requires authentication" and you will have to enter your email address in the username field (e.g. name@icloud.com) and in the password box you need to create a specific password on the apple site for this purpose, the instructions here tell you how: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204397

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-18 20:45:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks thats very helpfull i just been on phone with netgear for 2 hours XR500 netduma os
i turned of email for now , but look at my graphs i do have a good isp pulse 8 vdsl2
The internet light on front was mad flashing which indicates a lot of activity hence the BQM charts
we decideded to down grade software to last version hey presto , no mad activity internet light
but securty not so good //
so just done this will have to wait to see BQM display
can somone clarify the BQM i thought it monitors across my BB isp provision my line ,so NOT any equipment on my side of master socket would create the attenuation on this BQM right ?
have a look at this i want a refund.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Apr-18 21:11:12
Print Post

You might not be using wireless, but have you disabled wireless on the Netgear? Looking at the lights from the front, what are the left three doing? (2.4GHz, 5GHz and Guest).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71097/14070Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 05-Apr-18 21:14:06)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Apr-18 22:19:13
Print Post

When you updated the firmware on the modem / router did you reset the configuration to factory defaults and then re-configured them.
Some of the settings might of corrupted when firmware upgraded.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Apr-18 22:38:06
Print Post

The BQM is pinging your public IP address, so which ever device has that IP address is what the BQM is talking with

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to