General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-18 22:23:10
Print Post

BQM ISP denial

[link to this post]

h i need opinon on BQM 35/10 vdsl2+ pulse8 isp recently i was on cable so new to dsl but the think BB BQM showing
WORSE than the virgin media jitterbug i just left ,, its of the scale now .. i checked on bt wholesale line checker
says i have no nte5 ido it also says i have a bridge tap U for unknown i only have the master socket . but do live in small block 20 flats this is bad but am getting bandwith promised
pulse8 say no probs checks are fine ! [censored] there is an issue on my line look there saying i will have to pay for bt engineer if my side ( its not my side my cabling arrangement etc is properly installed all shielded and away from RF in small flat these BQM stats are indisputable in my view. my modem snr margin is 19.5 down 0 up ?could be dslm measures as i had on of router when cabling , but took out dsl lead?
please let me know what you think of these BQMS
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

lookforward to your response
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-18 08:58:45
Print Post

Re: BQM ISP denial

[re: dcm12] [link to this post]

And when it is busy there is absolutely nothing happening on your line? You aren't doing any streaming, downloads, etc - everything is turned off to ensure there are no big OS updates or anything running?
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-18 09:28:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

correct it looks like my ine is being used indeed ? i must say my new netgear XR500 internet light is constantly flashing busy , when no use is going on its my set up no other people in my flat .
i use echo life modem hg612 bridge mode . lan 1 lan2 is wired in from router to acessHG612
it wouldent work if settings went correct i think there are a lot of logs in neatgear saying failed mail server i will look into that , but im getting my mail on pc also EN wired ,
The flashing internet light doesent look right also the LAN 1 from modem is same flashing constent
but DSL is solid green not a flicker .
thanks for response.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Apr-18 09:50:30
Print Post

So many things, so much confusion.

Strip things down to the basics, i.e. just one cable to HG612 and turn off the wireless on Netgear.

Ensure all NAS/file sharing/remote admin/emailing of logs is disabled in the router.

A router should not be reporting failed mail server and this suggests its trying to do something, so may be constantly trying to send some email.

To be honest this does look like a local load issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-18 18:24:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

hi thanks i agree and agree i like basics routing indeed Ö i dont use wireless , local load i have no file sharing , going on the log in router is sending a couple server request a minute to a failed smpte outgoing mail server which i must have wrong thought it was just icloud.
dont know what to put in there properly yet .
that wouldn't acount for my of the scale BQM looking worse than virgin media super hub 3 of the scale latenceys i will try your suggestions now im back home

thanks
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-18 18:33:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by dcm12:
a failed smpte outgoing mail server which i must have wrong thought it was just icloud. dont know what to put in there properly yet .

You could turn off emailing of logs for now. But if you must, its quite complicated using an iCloud email from a non Apple application. Here are the links you will need:

See this page at Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202304

See this page at Netgear: https://kb.netgear.com/29909/Configuring-Email-notif...

For the ICLOUD SMTP server you will need to put smtp.mail.me.com

For the port number you will need to put 587

You will need to tick the box "my server requires authentication" and you will have to enter your email address in the username field (e.g. name@icloud.com) and in the password box you need to create a specific password on the apple site for this purpose, the instructions here tell you how: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204397

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-18 20:45:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks thats very helpfull i just been on phone with netgear for 2 hours XR500 netduma os
i turned of email for now , but look at my graphs i do have a good isp pulse 8 vdsl2
The internet light on front was mad flashing which indicates a lot of activity hence the BQM charts
we decideded to down grade software to last version hey presto , no mad activity internet light
but securty not so good //
so just done this will have to wait to see BQM display
can somone clarify the BQM i thought it monitors across my BB isp provision my line ,so NOT any equipment on my side of master socket would create the attenuation on this BQM right ?
have a look at this i want a refund.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 05-Apr-18 21:11:12
Print Post

You might not be using wireless, but have you disabled wireless on the Netgear? Looking at the lights from the front, what are the left three doing? (2.4GHz, 5GHz and Guest).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71097/14070Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 05-Apr-18 21:14:06)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Apr-18 22:19:13
Print Post

When you updated the firmware on the modem / router did you reset the configuration to factory defaults and then re-configured them.
Some of the settings might of corrupted when firmware upgraded.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Apr-18 22:38:06
Print Post

The BQM is pinging your public IP address, so which ever device has that IP address is what the BQM is talking with

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-18 00:11:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks I turned WiFi of , but they were booth 2.5 5 ghz. Stable. Just the occasional recognition of net
Thatís norm not my internet light going strobe.
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-18 00:21:39
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Right yes didnít think of that. Nor did the netgear support 2 hours mainly of them typing in background
Whilst doing screenshare. When I downgraded. My internet light is more stable. But looking at tonightís
Ordinary activity is just [censored] Iím getting bandwidth. But look at graph
It was not like this last month. I donít know if itís isp. I have to pay for BT ENGINIER Says pulse 8
if the faults my side. The attenuation looks rhythmical, my SNR margin is at 19.4 up thatís past BT MAX Isent it Iím fed up with this rubbish pay top money for everthink and get do do
I donít really know how to define what the hell this noise on line is with this BQM if it pings everything with my public ip does that mean it could be my dsl line or any device Pc. Router canít be modem or cables , or RF as I make sure of that . An expensive mysterie I just left virgin media because of this

Edited by dcm12 (Fri 06-Apr-18 00:32:56)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Apr-18 08:01:33
Print Post

Whilst it is the public IP it is pinging if your line has a lot of traffic then that will increase latency as the line is busy so doesn't have spare capacity to respond. Also, the router itself could be extremely busy and so deprioritise responding to pings as they are not important compare to other traffic.

What you need to do is work out if the router is handling a lot of traffic - there should be statistics on the router of data throughput and if that is ticking up at a high rate then that would point to something transmitting data.

Remind me - aside from the BQM are you seeing any actual performance issues on the line? If you do a speed test during the "busy" hours then is that seeing slow speeds? It is possible it is just the router not bothering to respond quickly to the pings for some reason.
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-18 10:08:48
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

hi ian thanks i dont have any traffic going on logs in netgear xr500 show standard stuff
but in statistics i have some high numbers no collisions . bandwith being used by router is
as per usual monitoring net the wave graph is measuring on of usage of 0.0006 average
this router also has twin core 1.7 gz so usage is not issue TX RX pkts are not flying up just normal ticking up slowly
this router is a traffic expert
the attenuation on BQM seems to be between 2am through to 10 am next day then normal im seeing a pattern now dont know what it is ( not my electrics i have all that in hand )
my speeds are fairly normal 40/10 im on im getting ive had bad results its a bit same as bqm
but generally 25/7 pings rating from 7 - 136 so spiking
i dont know about this router not bothering i paid it enough ha .. but vailid point my internet light is more stable on downgrade firmware but still look at graph https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-18 10:12:42
Print Post

i will undertake this suggestion cheers i let you know
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Apr-18 10:42:35
Print Post

The BQM does not show attenuation, since in the broadband world attenuation usually refers to attenuation due to line length length.

The BQM is showing the latency between the pingbox and the IP address it is monitoring.

Absolutely no idea what
"bandwith being used by router is as per usual monitoring net the wave graph is measuring on of usage of 0.0006 average "
means...bandwidth use is usually given in MB or GB consumed

Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Sat 07-Apr-18 18:41:56
Print Post

got it if BQM is icmb my public ip and i am doing the same from ping plotter how come the TB BQM
is looking worse than when i had virgin media attenuatin whilst the ping plotter is showing same ping to be max 10ms -20s latency jitter that doesent even register as visulal i get numbers later and zero packet loss this does not correspond with Fire bricks graphs ..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Apr-18 10:32:11
Print Post

Because maybe the provider has lots of different routes in/out/around its network and that may be having an impact.

Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-18 13:05:10
Print Post

i did this and it seemed to have stabalised the activity on router light internet connection but has made know difference in THE BQM https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-18 14:06:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by dcm12:
i did this and it seemed to have stabalised the activity on router light internet connection but has made know difference in THE BQM https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I don't know then, I know I have always loaded the default settings after doing firmware upgrades and then rebooted the device and then make my changes and then once again rebooted the device and have never had any issues.

My BQM in my sig only shows yellow areas when we are using the conection which is a lot here tongue and those really long spikes on my BQM is the Samknows Whitebox I have connected doing check on my connection.

But I have never seen it as bad as yours though.

Not too sure if you have done any trace routes to places when your BQM is bad.
Places like bbc.co.uk, google.com etc, I don't know the IP of the BQM Box, but it might be a routing issue, hard to tell.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-18 16:50:46
Print Post

ok thanks for correcting my terminology broadband worlds my understanding was from audio based
untill we got the internet cheers m8 .
( Absolutely no idea what
"bandwith being used by router is as per usual monitoring net the wave graph is measuring on of usage of 0.0006 average "
means...bandwidth use is usually given in MB or GB consumed )

i meant within my netgera xr500 the network meter and processor usage both live .
it was maxing at say 15 mbs peaking max ocasionally ( normal activity, not in use )and processor cpu usage of 0.0006 sorry about that .
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-18 17:06:45
Print Post

i dont think so i have 3 hops to the sever 79.79.79.77 london pretty straight forward
im getting the feeling by looking at bqm it has definite patterns which means it is comming from an engine generated its not the electrics in my flat i have that in hand , it could be talk talk interleaving as i had a lot of problems setting up new modem BT echo life HG612 3B matched to street cabinet but i really did have issue ( computer probs at same time so lots of messing about
power of and on i was also unlocking HG612 ts been solid for 3 weeks now the DSL light does not flicker
no i had to turn of couple time s due to room arrangement i have a lot of records .
the BQM pattern is 2am to 2pm of huge latency in router stats i have SNR margin 19.4 dwn 0 up
weird oh well i will keep digging .
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-18 17:25:08
Print Post

paul thanks my BQM is terrible worse than virgin / i havent herd of Samknows Whitebox but i do run pingplotter pingman tools and have live monitors ,pings, running includding my isp servers
google , pingman tools.isp test all corresponding with TBB BQM which is always running of the charts latency i can see the hops on pings see the addresses of hops and p time see a live graph
of ping all running at under 10ms max occasionally at 20 jitter does not even register so is minimal ping plotter is well respected tool im not i raised this with mrs saffron as you can see in thread i can see my servers hops are x 3 simple and RT 6MS AVG i have know reason to not trust ping plotter stats
so will keep on trying to solve this as i mentioned to andrew f i may well of induced interleaving
when setting up and rewiring my room a few times as i moved from virgin to DSL im almost asking virgin to take me back if TB BQM is true will be now checking Samknows Whitebox
dan
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Apr-18 18:14:55
Print Post

Are you saying when the connection is otherwise not in use that bandwidth monitoring is peaking at 15 Mbps? If so something is using the connection

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-18 18:34:03
Print Post

When you say you are using different types of ping tools etc, they are not all being done at the same time are they, if so your router might be blocking some of them due to it treating them as a ping flood attack?

I know my FRITZ Routers blocked / rejected loads of pings which was why I stopped using the Fritz!Box Routers and moved over to a Linksys WRT 3200 ACM Router which is fine with the BQM, it does have some issues to-do with buffer bloat.

Also more information about SamKnows Whitebox here but there is a waiting list.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Apr-18 10:08:15
Print Post

Also if on Virgin Media and using a superhub 3 there is a thing called the Intel Puma bug that may or may not have been fixed and running multiple tools pinging you is likely to induce all many of oddities

Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Tue 10-Apr-18 20:33:15
Print Post

not on the virgin anymore to many inconsistency i had x2 shub 2 never the 3 puma6 it was still
not good i still have a new 2AH if you want it
Standard User dcm12
(newbie) Tue 10-Apr-18 20:56:28
Print Post

yes the TB BQM is what your seeing / nothing else is using i have live monitor in the nighthawk xr500 showing 0.010 max mbps pings do you use igmp as i dont have that ticked but i am getting
a BQM could this be problem
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to