General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lawgrast
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-18 16:50:04
Print Post

Virgin and skype

[link to this post]

Hi - I work a lot from my home office (very similar to my dining room), and use Skype a lot, for long conference calls. I've had some problems with Skype's screensharing and voice freezing, and calls dropping out - nothing new, has been the same for months if not years. The laptop checks out OK, so thought I'd take a look at my connectivity.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

This looks messier than I was expecting. Any thoughts as to if this might be a problem, and if so how to improve it would be very welcome, please.

Looks like a Virgin SuperHub - went in in early 2013.

Thanks, Lawrence
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-18 17:32:25
Print Post

Re: Virgin and skype

[re: lawgrast] [link to this post]

Relatively normal for cable broadband, it has higher jitter than other technologies but should still work for Skype etc

Between 7am and 9am the guess is that you were downloading or uploading a lot over the connection

What is a bit more unusual is the variability of the green minimum latency seen, usually this is flat and suggests something is changing a lot

Are you using a SuperHub 2 or superhub 3?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lawgrast
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-18 17:41:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks Andrew. I only got online at 9am this morning (and was out from 7 - 8), so surprising re. the connection then.
Super Hub VMDG480 is all I can find re. the hub type - if that helps?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-18 18:33:23
Print Post

[re: lawgrast] [link to this post]

That's the original superhub so not plagued with the Intel Puma chipset issue.

If you were not using the connection and sure nothing was doing a big download/backup then suggestion is that congestion got worse for a while in the area

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lawgrast
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-18 09:06:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Makes sense. Overall sounds like the connection is 'good enough' - so I'll leave well alone! Many thanks for the speedy & helpful feedback.
  Print Thread

Jump to