General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cruxoooo
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-18 16:36:24
Print Post

UPC Cable Graph

[link to this post]

Hi,

My BQM Graph: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Is this normal for a Cable Internet Connection?
Most of the time I am not even using the Internet. When I use it the Average Latency is bigger in the Graph.

I have UPC (Unity Media in Slovakia) Cable Internet (120/12 Mbps) and their "Connect Box" Modem. WiFi is turned off. In most games I have lags or rubberbanding. Netflix, HBO GO and YouTube take forever to load their Video's or interrupt randomly. Same happens with most websites or Skype/TeamSpeak. I contacted my ISP Customer service and explained my Problem. The answer I got was "Your Signal Strength is fine and we don't support gaming. It can the fault of their Servers."

What should I do? what can I do?

Thank you very much for any help!

Edited by cruxoooo (Mon 30-Apr-18 16:43:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-18 16:44:07
Print Post

Re: UPC Cable Graph

[re: cruxoooo] [link to this post]

The high baseline figure will be largely down to not being in the UK.

If investigating issues around latency it would be better to use a monitor service that is more local to you if possible.

Cable broadband (DOCSIS) generally has more jitter than other technologies due to the shared nature of the local loop, but even so your yellow banding looks worse than we see the UK ideally, but that may be partly down to the international aspect.

One possibility is that the cable modem is built around an Intel Puma chipset which has numerous flaws that mean latency performance can be sub par.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Apr-18 16:44:11
Print Post

Where about in the world are you? I suspect you aren't in the UK so international transit may cause issues on a BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Apr-18 16:46:56
Print Post

Are you in a European country, perhaps Germany, not the UK? If so, as the BQM is testing latency between its UK server and yourself high latency isn't too surprising, particularly as pings get low priority through the intermediate routers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70512/13708Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User cruxoooo
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-18 16:47:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, I am in Slovakia.

Edited by cruxoooo (Mon 30-Apr-18 16:52:01)

Standard User cruxoooo
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-18 17:30:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I looked up the "Puma Chipset" bug on this site http://badmodems.com/ and that is exactly what I have. frown

Big thanks for the hint!

Edited by cruxoooo (Mon 30-Apr-18 17:30:56)

Print Thread

Jump to