General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dude4949
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-18 12:31:22
Print Post

Questions about accuracy of BQM graphs

[link to this post]

Hi,

I run a laptop, over ethernet, while gaming. I have used ThinkBroadband's BQM for a while now, but only just understood how it really works. I'm on a 200/12Mb fibre connection

Even though the BQM graph for my laptop's internet shows a consistent minimum latency around 20ms, everytime I test it at speedtest.net, my ping comes back as only 7ms. ThinkBroadband's speed tester also shows a 20ms latency. There is no packet loss. the problem has been there since i started using BQM has not arisen lately

In games I see lag/rubber banding only when connected to a higher number of other players

However, the BQM graph for the same laptop but with a different IP, an IP which i get with a VPN,doesn't show the same (not flat but very neary, 20ms minimum latency. I don't understand how i get higher latency without a VPN, or why im seeing that strangely-near 20ms baseline latency
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Jun-18 13:14:32
Print Post

Re: Questions about accuracy of BQM graphs

[re: dude4949] [link to this post]

Without seeing the graph hard to comment.

You can verify our figures using a ping or traceroute command which will be more accurate than speedtest.net

With the net tester they pick the closest server latency wise, which will be the one on the Virgin Media, and as the BQM is hosted external to the Virgin Media network you are looking at a lot more network in between.

NOTE: The BQM is pinging the routers Internet IP address, it will only be pinging the IP address of a laptop if it has a public IP address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dude4949
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-18 13:22:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

here are the two graphs, one with vpn on and one without

https://imgur.com/a/FKYP5bm

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 08-Jun-18 13:31:29
Print Post

If you go to your Profile on the Main Site you should have a list of past speed tests when you scroll below the BQM links. Click one and the link is just below the graph you get. IIRC a similar link is below the speed test graph at the time you run it as well. smile

Like this one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 08-Jun-18 13:33:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Jun-18 13:41:49
Print Post

Okay you are looking at two very different things...

The Virgin graph is a true representation of your latency from home to our server, pings are on the Virgin Network within 0.7ms, but there is at least a 12ms difference between arriving on virgin network and getting across their core before even hitting connection i.e. the Virgin Media core network has some latency issues.

The with VPN it looks like we are not pinging your laptop at all but an IP address that is reachable within 0.7ms

The banding in gaming is telling you that you have some latency issues and as many game servers will be outside the virgin network then the BQM is reflecting what is going on.

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 08-Jun-18 13:43:03)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dude4949
(newbie) Tue 12-Jun-18 00:11:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

i thought i had replied to this already but i can't see my reply on the thread so here goes again (edit: i probably clicked the preview box then forgot to follow on)

firstly, i've just realised that the BQM appears to be monitoring my laptop (the macbook pro) even when it is in hibernation or totally off... there are no overnight gaps in almost any BQM daily graph afor it and i almost never leave it on overnight,

secondly, i think the strangest part of this BQM graph for the macbook pro and that 20ms minimum latency is that i don't see the same 20ms minimum latency with the acer aspire laptop i set up a BQM for... in fact it looks suspiciously low. and is also continuing to be monitored despite not having been switched on for weeks

edit: here is the lnik to the BQM of the acer aspire
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Edited by dude4949 (Tue 12-Jun-18 00:45:39)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jun-18 00:58:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by dude4949:
i thought i had replied to this already but i can't see my reply on the thread so here goes again (edit: i probably clicked the preview box then forgot to follow on)

firstly, i've just realised that the BQM appears to be monitoring my laptop (the macbook pro) even when it is in hibernation or totally off... there are no overnight gaps in almost any BQM daily graph afor it and i almost never leave it on overnight,

secondly, i think the strangest part of this BQM graph for the macbook pro and that 20ms minimum latency is that i don't see the same 20ms minimum latency with the acer aspire laptop i set up a BQM for... in fact it looks suspiciously low. and is also continuing to be monitored despite not having been switched on for weeks

edit: here is the lnik to the BQM of the acer aspire
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

The BQM Servers are not pinging your acer aspire, but are pinging the IP used by the VPN, Andrew has already said this.
Also having the acer aspire turned off for weeks also proves this too.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Jun-18 10:06:23
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

What Paul said

Print Thread

Jump to