General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DaFoot
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-18 09:09:12
Print Post

Help understand my graph

[link to this post]

My Graph

I'm new to using the broadband quality monitor thing so not sure what the various parts of graph represent in terms of good/bad.

I gather the yellow peaks I shouldn't worry about because it's probably just be the router prioritising other traffic over the pings, is that correct?

There seems to be a solid, not insignificant chunk of yellow above holding at 40ms latency. That seems rather high to me, or is that again nothing to be concerned about?

Would you consider an average of 20ms latency reasonable on what should be a 100mbps cable connection?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Jun-18 09:23:26
Print Post

Re: Help understand my graph

[re: DaFoot] [link to this post]

SuperHub 3? This generally has more jitter which is what the yellow is showing but the superhub is often poor at responding which makes the jitter look worse.

Baseline 20ms is normal for cable, largely down to what looks like some congestion on the virgin side of LINX networks to the outside world.

If you are a gamer you would probably be able to tell the difference between this and nominally slower VDSL2 service i.e. actual game play is often better on VDSL2 but downloading patches can be faster on Virgin Media

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DaFoot
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-18 10:08:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
SuperHub 3? This generally has more jitter which is what the yellow is showing but the superhub is often poor at responding which makes the jitter look worse.

Yes hub 3, that's how I ended up here. Trying to resolve issues between my hub3 (that was sent to replace an older hub that finally gave up) and my router.

Trying to figure out what's causing the issue(s).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Jun-18 10:17:39
Print Post

[re: DaFoot] [link to this post]

Time to start a thread in the VM forum here about whatever issue it is you have? It would probably not be noticed if you told us about it in this one smile, but that forum is fairly active over the last three months at least.

A Search there over a longish period (see the top menu) might even find it discussed, before you post yourself.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 14-Jun-18 10:18:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Jun-18 12:22:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Short is the Intel Puma bugs are not helping, there are firmware upgrades, but some thoughts are that this is masking the issue rather than actually fixing things.

Generally if a server is inside the Virgin Media network then things are a lot better, but external services are highly variable based on how the route traverses the virgin network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to