General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sonderval
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-18 23:31:05
Print Post

New Virgin Media SuperHub 3 ... issues

[link to this post]

After a few issues with my old router (2ac) Virgin swapped me onto a new hub 3 ... and since then I have been getting T3 ranging issues, random router restarts and general internet disconnections. In an effort to build up some evidence to club Virgin with (after 2 engineer visits saying everything was in spec and working) I started using the BQM.

I can clearly see the times the internet drops out completely (red bits) but I'm not sure about the rest of the monitor results. Can anyone tell me if this is "normal" for a Superhub 3 because so far I am completely underwhelmed and wish they had left me on the 2ac.

Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version : 10
Software version : 9.1.116V

My BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Jun-18 10:17:26
Print Post

Re: New Virgin Media SuperHub 3 ... issues

[re: Sonderval] [link to this post]

Suggestion from me is that your Superhub 3 has not had the Intel Puma 3 chip bug patches yet, i.e. based on the yellow jitter.

I don't recall the version numbers that have the Puma fix in them.

In terms of moaning at Virgin, is the BQM showing the same as what you get if you do some many pinging of locations. Need to do this as support will usually just blame our BQM tool, when the tool is working perfectly - one problem can be that the LINX routing out of Virgin Media is congested on their side of things but as your issue is 24.7 its not that

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User edplaysjazz
(newbie) Wed 20-Jun-18 21:40:33
Print Post

[re: Sonderval] [link to this post]

My Broadband Ping

My Broadband Ping

My Broadband Ping

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday this week.

Trying to do a bit of video chat tonight to see if it's better, but it's been unsable for voip or video, gaming, streaming (up or down), and it's been a nightmare to play videos.

Research I have done suggests the Superhub 3.0 is unfit for purpose as previous post suggests, around unfixable problems on the Puma chipset that the patch can only slightly alleviate.

Was on the phone to virgin, was told 'no such patch exists', then 'even if a patch did exist...' only to have the virgin media twitter confirm it was being rolled out the following day.

They lie and use every trick in the book to make it seem like you're the one being unreasonable. I believe it is referred to as gaslighting. They have known about this for years. I tried to leave in October, but they wouldn't let me. Now I have BQM.

Current firmware version (the one with the problems) v9.1.166

Being rolled out (that ameliorates but can't fix) v9.1.166.608 (or .603, it's unclear)

Edited by edplaysjazz (Wed 20-Jun-18 21:42:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leexgx
(committed) Thu 12-Jul-18 04:38:20
Print Post

[re: edplaysjazz] [link to this post]

using the router in modem mode or getting the SU2 or business hub seems to be the only way to fix it

it not fix the packet loss thought as that's typically network issues norm the COXAL side (cable issues power to high or too low), what are your power levels like on your suerhub, if your seeing packet loss in BQM VoIP and streaming will become problematic

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

after your router is in modem mode (plug your own router in) it should look like the above (before 3am SU3 in router mode and after in modem mode with a RT-AC66U_B1 used) Note IP address will change so you need to update the IP address your monitoring unless your using DDNS pointer

Standard User bob2207
(newbie) Sat 21-Jul-18 11:15:31
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

Hello,

Is anyone having problems with BQM on the Virgin Superhub v3.0? I had BQM monitoring going for weeks without any issues but recently, last few days, BQM is interrupted and I just get a solid red block until I edit the monitor and it starts again.

Bob
Standard User bob2207
(newbie) Sat 21-Jul-18 16:24:31
Print Post

[re: bob2207] [link to this post]

Well, now editing the monitor doesn't work either. Have Virgin done something overnight to block BQM monitoring?

Anyone else have this issue?
Standard User clivers
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-18 10:16:44
Print Post

Mine and my friends are doing the same. They might have introduced some sort of automatic blocking for multiple pings as though it is being attacked.
Standard User mp90
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-18 10:31:01
Print Post

[re: clivers] [link to this post]

Have had the same issues as above. Seems to go to 100% packet loss and then if you edit the BQM it will start pinging again.

I believe I have received the latest SuperHub 3 firmware in the last week. Have attached a snapshot of the last 24 hours and then one from a week ago. Hub is showing firmware version 9.1.116.608

My Broadband Ping Last 24 hours.

My Broadband Ping Last Sunday.
Standard User bob2207
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-18 17:06:53
Print Post

[re: mp90] [link to this post]

Yes, that looks just like mine.
Standard User bob2207
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-18 19:19:37
Print Post

and I'm on the same firmware version too ... pity ... not sure if there's anyway round it, maybe delete and start afresh?
  Print Thread

Jump to