General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Robti
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-18 15:58:09
Print Post

Dropped hard wired connections and lag on wireless

[link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Anyone see any problems with this ?
Thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jun-18 16:14:05
Print Post

Re: Dropped hard wired connections and lag on wireless

[re: Robti] [link to this post]

Were you actively using the line at any point - for example were you doing any data intensive tasks at around 8:50 to 9am? Which Virgin router do you have? What actual issues are you seeing and is it at particular times of the day? When connections drop is it all connections at once or just one device?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jun-18 19:29:35
Print Post

The issues around midnight seem to have affected lots of people over the LINX exit point from virgin network.

Virgin is in that situation where if your route across their network and exit point are good then all is well, but some routes are congested and cause issues for people on top of the usual SuperHub and cable jitter issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Robti
(newbie) Wed 20-Jun-18 10:09:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi I am using the sh2 and for instance this morning I had the Netflix app on my Apple TV report a couple of times no network connection through the cat 6 cable direct to router
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jun-18 11:04:05
Print Post

When it is reporting no connection are you also getting no connection on other devices. Trying to understand if there is something failing on the ethernet (either in the router or the end device) or if it is the connection itself dropping. Does the SH2 give stats on connection uptime and if so does it show breaks in the connection at the times the Apple TV disconnects? Does the SH2 have a log showing details of connections?

Does the BQM for this morning show a dropout of responses at the same time as your netflix failed?

Edited by ian72 (Wed 20-Jun-18 11:04:58)

Standard User Robti
(newbie) Wed 20-Jun-18 13:56:20
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
I only get this error message popping up for a second and sometimes the app, any app continues to play sometimes it crashes, also if anyone is in they say they sometimes get a lot of lag playing online games, which I donít, so as itís so short by the time I try something else, e,g built in tv apps, or built in apps on Blu-ray player I wouldnít get anything

Edited by Robti (Wed 20-Jun-18 14:00:49)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jun-18 19:40:07
Print Post

Possible drop outs shortly after 4pm and 6pm today

Some apps can be picky and prone to breaking when others seem to continue, so its about catching and verifying that the broadband was down for everything

It could just be a routing glitch between you and the Apple TV servers (Virgin does seem to be having a batch of network issues that are causing more issues than the usual LINX congestion issue).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Robti
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-18 09:07:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the help and explaining the graph to me, I will live with it and see if it settles down
  Print Thread

Jump to