General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User firemonkey
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-18 09:04:48
Print Post

100% packet loss and low latency at the same time?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I´ve been struggling with intermittent disconnections (I suspect some sort of error disable on my line) and I'm using BQM to help keep track of the disconnections.

Now, my ISP just replaced my router to see if it would help but after setting up BQM to my new IP I'm seeing strange results

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Its showing 100% packet loss all the time but also some small green ping responses.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how i can fix it?

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jul-18 09:41:07
Print Post

Re: 100% packet loss and low latency at the same time?

[re: firemonkey] [link to this post]

Have you checked that the IP address we see on https://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/what-is-my-ip is the one you are monitoring?

Also that this is your Vodafone IP and not a proxy or other IP address.

Also new router may have come with security (DoS) protection turned on, which is blocking pings most of the time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User firemonkey
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-18 11:22:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, that's definitely the correct IP and its shown as the WAN IP on the router config too.

There aren't many options available to me in the router config...
Under Advanced I have "WAN Blocking" disabled
and under the Firewall tab, I have "Block Fragmented IP Packets", "Port Scan Detection" and "IP Flood Detection" all disabled

I would have thought that its the IP flood detection protects agains DoS attacks but since its disabled i don't know.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jul-18 11:45:50
Print Post

Is this Vodafone UK or elsewhere?

Since checking your BQM suggests pings are failing with a time to live exceeded so maybe some funky or broken routing that is the issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User firemonkey
(newbie) Mon 23-Jul-18 10:22:27
Print Post

Its Vodafone Spain... Its strange because the BQM was working fine with the previous modem/router before they replaced them with this new all-in-one device.

However, what´s even stranger is that it magically started working today without me changing anything!

Thanks for all your help! @MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jul-18 10:32:29
Print Post

The TTL exceeded was probably fixed by some routing issue between Spain and UK getting fixed

So may not be linked to the router at all.

Standard User firemonkey
(newbie) Mon 30-Jul-18 12:04:40
Print Post

Turns out I spoke too soon... the reason is suddenly fixed itself was that my router got a new IP. Once I change the BQM to use the new IP it went back to showing 100% packet loss with the small green peaks at the bottom of the graph frown
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Jul-18 13:21:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by firemonkey:
Turns out I spoke too soon... the reason is suddenly fixed itself was that my router got a new IP. Once I change the BQM to use the new IP it went back to showing 100% packet loss with the small green peaks at the bottom of the graph frown

Well if your previous Modem / Router worked fine and this new one doesn't I would say your router is blocking ICMP Pings.
A lot of ISP Branded Modems / Routers are locked down and block pings.

I had the same issues when I used BT's Branded Modem / Router, once I brought my own one opened it up for just ICMP Pings Messages it was all fine and has been since.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Jul-18 15:46:24
Print Post

Is your IP address IPv4 format or IPv6 format?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 66784/12396Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to