General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User richemon85
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-18 14:48:32
Print Post

Dynamic IP solution for Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM)

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I think i've discovered a solution to the "BQM dynamic IP address problem" I did search and nothing came up. Years ago I remember using no-ip.com 's dynamic DNS client to update my account should the external IP address change. There's an HTTPS API available here and a Windows client that runs on XP and up.

https://www.noip.com/integrate/request
https://www.noip.com/integrate

Who would thinkbroadband need to speak with at no-ip to have such a feature implemented?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-18 15:22:02
Print Post

Re: Dynamic IP solution for Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM)

[re: richemon85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by richemon85:
Who would thinkbroadband need to speak with at no-ip to have such a feature implemented?

Nobody, just set up any Dynamic DNS system on your machine, and then create a new BQM and input the host name that the system gives you.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 30-Sep-18 15:23:59
Print Post

How do you suggest a regular ping system should detect the new IP address of the target if the address in use changes. Also bear in mind that the old IP address could be responding normally quite soon afterwards?

Do you think thinkbroadband should be providing a built-in free DDNS service as well as the rest of whole free site?

Note:-
As of May 2017, we now support hostnames as well as static IP addresses, so if you use a Dynamic DNS service then you can provide us with your hostname and we will update the IP address when it changes.

You still need to subscribe to a dynamic DNS service (or your provider may update DNS based on your IP); be aware that it may take us a bit of time to detect IP changes, and currently these are not shown on the graphs so you may find this explains some odd patterns.
BQM FAQs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72623/13368Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
===================================================
If you never think of something off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 30-Sep-18 15:25:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User richemon85
(newbie) Mon 01-Oct-18 19:53:13
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by richemon85:

Nobody, just set up any Dynamic DNS system on your machine, and then create a new BQM and input the host name that the system gives you.

nice one cheers, I do know how the internet works, honest wink
Standard User richemon85
(newbie) Mon 01-Oct-18 19:56:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Do you think thinkbroadband should be providing a built-in free DDNS service as well as the rest of whole free site?

Nope I wasn't saying that, perhaps a recommendation for a DDNS provider or to make it more obvious that DDNS is supported.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 02-Oct-18 00:49:12
Print Post

You mean the FAQs for the application aren't enough?

That reminds me of "When all else fails, RTFM".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
===================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
  Print Thread

Jump to