General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User g4wsz
(newbie) Fri 09-Nov-18 17:25:11
Print Post

Gaps in graphs - linked to DNS lookup failures?

[link to this post]

I recently got a new router, hence a new WAN IP address, so my BQM graph stopped working.

Rather than just change the IP address of the ping probe to the new one, I decided to use a domain name (from a free "DNS" provider). I had been using this DDNS name for a while and was pleased to see that it had successfully updated itself with my new IP address, so I created a new graph, using the DDNS name instead of my new IP address.

However I soon noticed that the new graphs had gaps in, as in this example:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

(the gaps are most obvious in the green band at the bottom of the graph)

I suspect that this is due to some sort of failure in the DNS lookup of my domain name but I'd welcome any thoughts on this "problem".
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Nov-18 18:30:59
Print Post

Re: Gaps in graphs - linked to DNS lookup failures?

[re: g4wsz] [link to this post]

Seems the most likely reason, no down time on our end

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Nov-18 18:44:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by g4wsz:
I suspect that this is due to some sort of failure in the DNS lookup of my domain name but I'd welcome any thoughts on this "problem".

If your new router is a VirginMedia superhub 3 then this device has multiple reported issues with the BQM. If you are in modem mode to a different router then let us know.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User g4wsz
(newbie) Fri 09-Nov-18 19:57:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks - although I am aware of the problem that the Hub 3 sometimes ignores the pings (DoS?) and have observed that as well. Turning of the firewall features seems to have fixed that one wink

This is different though, as no dropped packets are observed - no red, no green, just a black gap.

It's as if BQM just stopped monitoring my address for a few minutes.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Nov-18 09:43:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by g4wsz:
It's as if BQM just stopped monitoring my address for a few minutes.

I'm using a DDNS for one of my monitors and I've not seen that. Maybe the TTL is too low, but with DDNS it usually needs to be low to work. Depends on how often your IP changes.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync 19/Sep/18: 61,689 / 8,831 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to