General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mole_face
(newbie) Thu 22-Nov-18 10:37:38
Print Post

Dropped Packets or not with Virgin Media...

[link to this post]

Hi all,

First post but I suspect that this has been asked and answered before, but finding confirmation isn't always the easiest! I've got a Virgin Media fibre connection and the service isn't the best. I don't know if it is the Virgin Media infrastructure, the router they have given me, or my internal network.

Anyway, I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 (VMDG505/TG2492LG-VM) and as I have problems with the service sometimes appearing to drop out I set up a BQM with the IP address of my router (I've confirmed this by checking the settings of the router) and I get the following graph: My BQM graph

Any thoughts as to why this may occur, should it be something of concern? When it is showing 100% dropped packets I still have access to the Internet.

Any thoughts gratefully received!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Nov-18 11:41:15
Print Post

Re: Dropped Packets or not with Virgin Media...

[re: mole_face] [link to this post]

A useless router that when it feels like it decides to start blocking the ping responses and then for no particular reason then decides to respond again

The jitter (yellow) you have looks fairly normal for a Virgin Media connection when router is responding

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mole_face
(newbie) Thu 22-Nov-18 14:25:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for the response. I thought the hardware may be a contributor as it isn't particularly new and I know that as little money gets put into these things as possible. Enough to make it work without everyone howling about it and ditching it, but no more.

I may see if I can get one of Virgin Media's new routers from them, or it could just be that I need to provide my own router and just use the cheap box as a modem only.

Mike

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Nov-18 15:01:39
Print Post

[re: mole_face] [link to this post]

SuperHub 3 which is the newer router still has the same problem along with other issues (Intel Puma chipset problems - though in theory should all be patched now)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to