User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Simon888
(learned) Wed 03-Mar-10 17:12:42
Print Post

BTFON & BTOpenzone on HomeHub2

[link to this post]

Hi there,

Three days ago I suddenly noticed that BTFON and BTOpenzone were broacasting from my BT HomeHub2. Took me about half an hour to suddenly figure out it was me. Figured out it was me as every time I was logged into the BTFON wireless and clicking a link my data light would flash.

Went into the router to see if I could turn it off. There was an OPT OUT bit. So proceeded to do just that. After submitted it said can take upto 48 hours to take place. Well it is over 2 days now and the two things are still broadcasting from my router. So there is no way I can see where I can MANUALLY turn it off.

There was nowhere on the site to say that if someone else is using it does it go against my data allowance down the line? So that is why i want it off!

Within an hour of submitting my opt-out thing, I got an email from BT advertising the service stating it is automatically turned off by default if you joined from a certain date. Really this should be an opt in thing!

Also I noticed is that BTFON and BTOpenzone have a MUCH stronger signal than my secure WIFI one. Actually twice as powerful.

The other annoying this is that I still have to have a separate wireless access point plugged in the back so that I can get it to work when I'm in the garden. the Business Hub I had a few months ago when a update went to that the signal strength selector disappeared so only broadcast at 25% which was terrible. And this BT HomeHub2 is not much better. Really bad considering their advert on TV saying best ever connection, but talking about the Wireless N really.

Anyway anyone else had any issues trying to turn off this BTFON and BTOpenzone service? Is there a way YOU can do it from the hub incase I have missed it?

Thanks

Simon
Standard User chicken_stu
(experienced) Wed 03-Mar-10 20:54:48
Print Post

Re: BTFON & BTOpenzone on HomeHub2

[re: Simon888] [link to this post]

There was nowhere on the site to say that if someone else is using it does it go against my data allowance down the line? So that is why i want it off!

It doesn't count

Within an hour of submitting my opt-out thing, I got an email from BT advertising the service stating it is automatically turned off by default if you joined from a certain date. Really this should be an opt in thing!
It used to be opt-in now you need to opt out...do you mean turned on by default?

Also I noticed is that BTFON and BTOpenzone have a MUCH stronger signal than my secure WIFI one. Actually twice as powerful.

Same signal strength on my hub for private, Fon and OpenZone...are you sure you're not picking up a neighbour?

The other annoying this is that I still have to have a separate wireless access point plugged in the back so that I can get it to work when I'm in the garden. the Business Hub I had a few months ago when a update went to that the signal strength selector disappeared so only broadcast at 25% which was terrible. And this BT HomeHub2 is not much better. Really bad considering their advert on TV saying best ever connection, but talking about the Wireless N really.

You need N capable network adapter to take advantage of the N enabled hub

Anyway anyone else had any issues trying to turn off this BTFON and BTOpenzone service? Is there a way YOU can do it from the hub incase I have missed it?

When I did a hard reset on my hub recently, I lost the Fon and Openzone channels and had to opt-out then opt-in on the BTFon website to get the hub re-enabled....as you have been opted-in automatically, it may not work but now that you have opted-out, perhaps if you do a hard reset it wont re-enable the Fon channel??

BTFON

BTBroadband Option 3

Edited by chicken_stu (Wed 03-Mar-10 20:55:23)

Standard User Pgre
(committed) Thu 04-Mar-10 18:39:33
Print Post

Hi..

As far as I can see you can't turn off yourself..
But I had same issue and it took about 3 days for it to be switched off.. but it is now off.

I wouldn't mind so much if I have a 20Mb line.. but not when your on 4Mb or less.

Regards PGre

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Simon888
(learned) Fri 05-Mar-10 14:17:21
Print Post

[re: chicken_stu] [link to this post]

After a few days I pressed the RESTART button on the side of the hub. The BTFON and BTOpenzone services were still broadcasting. But then after about half an hour the BTFON had dissapeared, but BTOpenzone was still broadcasting. Checked the next day and the BTOpenzone had gone. YAY.

Yes I know it was my router as I turned if off as part of the check to see if it was me, and checked on laptop and they were then not displayed.

It is good to know that if others are logged in using the service they are not using YOUR allocation of bandwidth. If it had said that clearly on the BTFON website then I might have left it alone!

Just a shame there is not a wifi strength thing do that you can set it on full. Still have to have another wifi access point plugged in next to the Home Hum so that I can use wireless in the garden! Oh well.

Simon
Standard User Pgre
(committed) Fri 05-Mar-10 16:19:53
Print Post

I have a few Apple Airport Express units which mean you can extend your Wifi and stream music at the same time.. and print if needed.
They aren't ridiculously expensive and are tiny.

Regards PGre
Standard User EllenB
(regular) Fri 05-Mar-10 18:12:16
Print Post

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

I have 3 of these Airport exspress units connected to my router (BT home hub) and the hi fi's including a USB printer and they are great. I run 2 macs and a windows XP computer and they are easy to set up and configure using DHCP with the router, you just need to set them up with the setting bridge mode if its a router or distribute an IP address if its a modem and the current price from an Apple store or PC world is about £85 quid.
Standard User mistynow
(committed) Fri 05-Mar-10 19:39:59
Print Post

I loaded inSSIder last night as noticed my own wireless signal was variable and saw BTFON & BTOpenzone broadcasting plus a home hub and they didn't have any security, Are these public access networks ? The wireless signal strength seems to be very high indeed.

Sorry to be dim but never seen this mentioned anywhere before so came to the BT forum to try to find out what is going on.

AAISP
Standard User EllenB
(regular) Fri 05-Mar-10 21:34:06
Print Post

[re: mistynow] [link to this post]

As far as I understand it yes these are open network access points that anyone can connect to in your vicinity. This then helps to create alongside designated access points at petrol stations etc the large BT openzone network that they advertise. Your own network can be protected by the different settings in the hub. If used by people (again as I understand it) it does not count against your allowance. To be able to turn off the wireless on the router you have to opt out of BT fon then after a while the hub should update and give you back the option to turn off wireless. If you look at the network coverage map on the BT Fon web site you should see your hub on your street as an access point. Hope this helps
Standard User Simon888
(learned) Tue 09-Mar-10 17:56:19
Print Post

Just had another thought on this.

What incentive is there that we have this on our Hubs?

What is BT giving back to us except allowing us to connect to other BTFon or BTOpenzone access points?

Would be nice if they knocked off a pound or two for allowing their service on our lines or even better give us a higher FUP for those that reach it!

Just my thoughts!

Simon
Standard User Pgre
(committed) Wed 10-Mar-10 12:31:19
Print Post

Would be nice if they let you not take the Home Hub and used your own router.. and charge you less.

Regards PGre
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to