User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User neworder
(newbie) Tue 22-Jun-10 09:41:54
Print Post

Slow Torrent Speeds

[link to this post]

I have been a BT broadband customer now for 8 days and it has been a nightmare

My internet runs absolutely fine for everything other than torrents. I have tried various Bit Torrent trackers, opened numerous ports and they still won't start

When I phone BT they say that I am within a 10 day stabilisation period. I am very very worried that, once the stabilisation period is over, my torrents won't work and I will be stuck with BT for 18 months (I took unlimited like an idiot which I was told carries a minimum 18 month contract...wasn't happy with that at all).

It can't be my computer because when I take it to my friends house, my torrents fire up nicely.

Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it? I really don't fancy gifting BT £300 just to get myself out of this contract which I feel I have been mis sold. So worried

Thanks in advance
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Tue 22-Jun-10 16:54:21
Print Post

Re: Slow Torrent Speeds

[re: neworder] [link to this post]

Two things will be affecting you.

First, BT is heavily traffic-managed, and secondly at the moment the football and Wimbledon are hitting under-provisioned ISPs such as BT heavily, causing congestion.

The 10-day period is nothing whatsoever to do with it. See this page on my website.

Additionally, there is a fairly strictly enforced FUP, which I believe is about 100GB per month.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 22-Jun-10 18:55:21
Print Post

The 10-day thing is a fairly standard answer - you'll get virtually no fault fixed inside the first 10 days if you have basic internet access.

Torrents *will* work. But, you will find that the throughput allowed is limited at various times of day, and you will generally find it is overnight that you will see top possible speeds.

Personally, I've found uPNP to be a fairly unreliable method on all sorts of kit, so I would manually forward the ports you use.

Try testing your setup using http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to ensure you have the ports open correctly.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User djfunkdup
(member) Tue 22-Jun-10 19:12:28
Print Post

have a look here.............. http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest-mla...

-----------------------------------------------------
virgin media b / b .xxl....50mbps....... t / v .xl......v+ hd .......... L/L .talk unlimited
[IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/2247967.png[/IMG]

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User neworder
(newbie) Tue 22-Jun-10 23:12:37
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

I have already forwarded all of the necessary ports on various clients and no luck. I have had torrents open 24 hours per day for the last 4 days and they are still on 0% so torrents *will not* work

Thanks for all of the help though, I'm still really confused and nothing seems to sort it. Why did I go with BT anyway frown

Edited by neworder (Tue 22-Jun-10 23:12:58)

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 23-Jun-10 20:14:59
Print Post

Switch to Sky. I had it installed today and I'm downloading a torrent at nearly 500kbs right now. I'd have been lucky on BT to achieve that sort of throughput at 3am! Bear in mind that the connection went live today and is currently connecting at amere 4Mb. I expect that to increase as soon as their line management system kicks in.

Frankly, it makes the claims in BTs current adverts about peak time speeds ring somewhat hollow. The sky router is a bit pants, but once you get things connecting to it it seems stable enough. The only use my Homehub is to me now is as an 802.11n wireless box; something it does (and has always does) rather well.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, OS X, Windows XP, WIndows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User tommy45
(experienced) Wed 23-Jun-10 21:44:55
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

All btw ipstream based services and even the 21cn are shaped , even when resold by other isp's, and if their unshaped then they will be capped instead,as basically the cost of the bandwidth dictates this, if you want uncapped /unlimited then you need to sign up to an isp who has llu at your exchange, like sky or o2/be
here is a link to a torrent that you can download without the fear of the mandelscum brigade chasing you as it's open source Unbuntu torrent download 699mb my connection is unshaped and it d/loads at max speed for me, the glasnost thing didn't give a accurate result as it said that my download was shaped,lol
the link to the site this came from should you or anyone else need a version of this alternative-download

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 23-Jun-10 21:47:13)

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 23-Jun-10 22:02:23
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I'm now unbundled. An Ubuntu download settled down at 422Kb/sec. That is substantially faster than BT on 20Mb in off peak despite my Sky connection being on 4Mb downstream right now! As I've said; I'm impressed here. I will be unimpressed if their system doesn't start kicking up that 4Mb when BT could achieve 20Mb on the same copper (even if it may as well have been dial up in terms of real world download speeds some of the time).

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, OS X, Windows XP, WIndows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User neworder
(newbie) Thu 24-Jun-10 11:31:23
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Well, Youtube won't work now

Its not my computer either because all of these features work when I am away from my house
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Thu 24-Jun-10 17:59:10
Print Post

BT Retail activley manages all trafic accross the network, esp between approx 3pm and midnight i wouldnt bother trying to d/l an torrents or newsnet donwloads in these times because they will be throttled to bits, do like i and many others do schedule your torrent client for midnight onwards and youl be fine, youtube and i player both work well most of the time, cant allwasy stream them at the highest definition but thye are watchable at all times for me and most imprtantly as an on line gammer pings are still the best in town.

my name has been changed to save me from more company disciplinary procedures.

whatever i say is my thoughts and not those of the company i work for
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to