User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User djg2008
(newbie) Sat 01-Jan-11 15:13:54
Print Post

BT HomeHub 2.0 broadband disconnections

[link to this post]

Hello,

Recently, since recieving BT HomeHub 2, it has been basically dropping Broadband connectivity rather frequently for a matter of 20 seconds or so. I play World of Warcraft, and it seems to happen noticably mostly while playing this game, as when I stop, I don't tend to notice this happen so much (although it does, of course, still happen).

I stopped using the first HomeHub 2.0 router they sent after upgrading, went back to using my ancient HomeHub 1.0 rusty breeze block. It worked remarkably well, until recently. After about a month, it too, decided to start dropping broadband connectivity while playing World of Warcraft after a long period of time without doing this. The PC I play on has always been connected directly via Ethernet cable.

I got onto BT, they sent me a new 2.0 router. I got it just before New Years Eve after ringing up the day after Boxing Day. Great timing for the post, although it was just sitting outside the front door when I got back from being out. Long story short, it's now (as predicted) doing exactly the same as the first one, even though it seemed okay for the first day. Frequent disconnects, which very much interrupts the gaming. I'm at my tether, I just want to cancel at the moment, but am worried about being caught in a 12 month contract with them, even though the service is unacceptable.

I have tried a lot of the things I came across. I'll start off by posting some of the router info. If anyone could help, I would be grateful. Thinking of switching over to Sky at this rate.

BT HomeHub 2.0
Version 8.1.H.J (Type A)

Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 1:42:34
Downstream 14,721 Kbps
Upstream 828 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.8 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 31.5 dB / 16.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 21.0 dBm / 12.1 dBm

The telephone and router are connected to the secondary (hardwired) telephone socket in the house via a HomeHub2 Microfilter. It would be extremely infeasible now, to rewire the phone and router to the main one downstairs. I tried taking this upstairs (old socket) apart and unwiring the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th wires as I read on a website to try and get the best out of the ADSL2+, and hopefully prevent these issues. There were no issues with the phone or router, however it still didn't fix the broadband disconnection issue.

All the best,
David
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 17:36:27
Print Post

Re: BT HomeHub 2.0 broadband disconnections

[re: djg2008] [link to this post]

That phone wiring sounds unusual. No telecomms engineer would have connected all 6 wires. It could be there is a problem there. So a few thoughts.

First, it is at the Master socket that 1,3,4,6 need disconnecting. You have done it at the extension, which is fine - you haven't done any harm, but not much good either.

Second, when you do that, write down what colours are attached to all six. That will help tell us if it is the right or wrong sort of cable.

And finally, check that the ones on 2 and 5 are the same colour at each end. For example, they may be Blue with White markings, and White with Blue markings. Make sure they don't cross over between the two sockets.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User wichitalineman
(learned) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:27:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There was a time in the past when engineers did connect all 6 wires for neatness. Thankfully its rare now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:29:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

'No telecomms engineer would have connected all 6 wires.'

Oh Bobby, Bobby, Bobby ...........

ask some of the 'old hands' on here. BT (as it was then) engineers internal wiring course, instructed engineers to terminate all 3 pairs.

(learned) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:31:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Steady with the "old " or we'll be round for tea and biscuits...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:50:07
Print Post

[re: djg2008] [link to this post]

Oooops!

Well, every air ace got shot down in flames at some time smile.

David, note that the guys that have actually been doing the job since it was the GPO were only disagreeing with what I said about the six wires all being connected.

You still need to do the disconnections at the master end, and check the colours on 2 and 5 to make sure they aren't crossed over, though even that I might get pulled up on next, as maybe something wouldn't work at all if they were crossed. Though IIRC it does work, just not well.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:55:46
Print Post

[re: wichitalineman] [link to this post]

No worries mate, I'll fix my own thanks !

Thameswey me, how's about you ?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 22:01:25
Print Post

Fig biscuits used to be a favourite treat when I was a kid. Very rarely got them though.

(learned) Sat 01-Jan-11 22:02:17
Print Post

When last I checked ..Northern Home Counties...Aylesbury cst.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Jan-11 00:28:45
Print Post

I always terminated all the pairs. But then I always turned down tea and biscuits too. Far better to make your own without the benefit of a damn good listening to. smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to