User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jan-11 21:56:47
Print Post

Setting up to use BT Voyager 105 modem on BT internet

[link to this post]

I was asked to try to sort a neighbour's computer(XP Home) today. It was full of viruses, trojans, et al, hadn't had Windows updates since pre SP3 so went for the HP Recovery approach. Now rebuilt and tried to get the BT Voyager 105 modem installed and back on the internet. I seemed to get into a loop where it couldn't find the drivers on the install CD but couldn't access the modem as the drivers weren't installed.

Anyway, I've brought the PC Home and plugged it up to my network and it's gently updating from its pre-SP2 state! That will take what it takes smile

Anyway the real issue is I have no idea of his username / password, and he doesn't appear to have anything with it on. I'm aware that the Voyager almost certainly won't work on my line but I would like to install it here while I've got internet access and get the install completed as far as possible.

Is there a username / password pair needed for this set up? I assume the dialup 'number' is 0,38. What other information or whatever do I need to have to get the Voyager successfully installed and working.

I'm well aware that a router is a better approach but the Voyager was working, albeit on a corrupted PC, and I would like to get it working again.

Tony
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Jan-11 22:38:27
Print Post

Re: Setting up to use BT Voyager 105 modem on BT internet

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

You should install the software first and then plug in the modem when asked. You will certainly need the user's login details and these should be available via BT's helpline. You will need the user's chosen "ID word" as well as BT account number etc.

Edited by Deadbeat (Thu 06-Jan-11 22:44:21)

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jan-11 22:44:33
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Yes, I'd realised that after doing the recovery. The modem was still plugged in. Anyway I'll try it here after 'update heaven'! and see what happens. It's possible that as I have an internet connection to it it'll be more successful.

Do you know the telephone number for BT's Helpline?

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Jan-11 12:45:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Do you know the telephone number for BT's Helpline?
150 Options 1, 4, 2

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jan-11 14:42:11
Print Post

It was, shall we say, a challenge to get the modem to install.

Error message relating to couldn't access registry key (found a 4+ year old web reference recommending adding the various keys to the registry - that got over that problem in due course).

Then unable to install support files.

Eventually downloaded the driver zip file from BT site and that installed ok.

After various false starts, reboots, etc. can get to the BT login dialog wanting username & password. At this point I'm stuck until the owner can find this info by one means or another. Presumably he would have been sent on a letter or the like.

Ah well, I'll just keep applying the Windows updates...

Tony
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 07-Jan-11 15:25:27
Print Post

Now you have got him back online - check the contact status. He will almost certainly be well out of contract if a Voyager is all there is and then get him to renew - and get a new modem/router as part of the deal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jan-11 15:40:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'll follow that up in due course. His PC is online via my home network.

He hasn't yet found or got his username / password from 5 years or so ago. Until that's sorted then I don't want to return his PC as I won't be able to connect it in his home to the net and let him get on with it.

To be honest I don't expect him to have the information before sometime next week so it'll be a few days yet.

Tony
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Jan-11 17:28:07
Print Post

If he rings 150, he will be asked for his BT account number which he can find on any bill, and his "security word". The operative will give a clue as to this word which is usually favourite pet, place of birth or mother's maiden name etc etc. Once correctly submitted, the op will then reveal the user/pass combination.
Don't forget that you won't be able to use these details to log on from your home - They are tied to the telephone number.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jan-11 18:50:24
Print Post

Thanks

The Voyager is installed and being accessed by the PC. I've asked the owner to find the username and password, whether he has them on a letter somewhere (though I'm not hopeful) or has to ring BT is his call. I told him to have his BT phone/BB bill to hand when he rings.

Once I have this information I can take the PC round to his house and set it up. I fully realise that the Voyager won't work on my line.

Ideally it would be better if I could get him to by a straightforward basic router and use that, much much simpler. I could have had his PC sorted in much less time, the Voyager problems have added many hours to the resurrection. Can't be more than £30-40 for a basic router I'd have thought.

Tony
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Jan-11 19:18:59
Print Post

If your friend is with BT Broadband, then the username for the USB DUN will be;

anything.youlike@btbroadband.com

no password required.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to