User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 19:09:23
Print Post

Re: Insanely High Ping & Suspected Stuck bRAS Profile

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

tongue
It's better if you click Reply on a post by the person you are replying to smile. If you look at the headers, or try Threaded mode you will see you replied to me.

As some people set their options to receive email notifications of replies, replying to the wrong person has two unwanted effects.

First, the person replied to gets a nuisance email. Second, if the person you were addressing comes ASAP when they get a notification email then it could be a while before they see your post, because they will think no-one has replied.

The OP did say earlier they had tried the test socket.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sat 08-Jan-11 20:12:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

i have neve experienced this on a forum.

why isnt there a simple reply button at the bottom like pretty much all other forums

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 20:15:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by andyboygsi:
i have neve experienced this on a forum.

why isnt there a simple reply button at the bottom like pretty much all other forums
Why are other forums not as flexible as this one?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sat 08-Jan-11 20:18:45
Print Post

your losing me, im not really interested in a big drawn out discssion regarding it.

i have had a long day in the snow fitting fttx so not got the energy lol

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 20:39:59
Print Post

smile
When you've a spare minute, save BT some money by coming and turning off the cooling and powering down our FTTC cabinet, as no-one is yet connected to it and BTW aren't scheduling a date.

It's called a business plan tongue.

If I was one of the guys pushed to install it through Nov/Dec I think I would super-glue the lock.

Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Sat 08-Jan-11 21:30:35
Print Post

Evening guys. After following your instructions RobertoS and removing the faceplates, noting down which terminals were connected and by which coloured wire. I did a quick google and learnt something new which explains why the extensions have no dialtone tongue It's very embarrassing though but as I said, I didn't know, but atleast I do now!

I've had the router plugged into the test socket this whole time, and have just learnt that when you remove the bottom half of the master socket, it disconnects all of the extensions tongue Whoops! Glad I learnt that now rather than later though! Although that doesn't explain why we lost dialtone to all phones the week before, when I hadn't been anywhere near any of the sockets! Hmm the mind boggles!

All of the wires match up on each socket colour for colour. However, there is an extra wire connected on all of the sockets on T3 which is white with a blue stripe. Should this be removed? Will it do any harm being connected?

With my mistake discovered though, it still doesn't explain the insanely high ping which was getting worse and worse day by day. Although that seems to have been rectified by restarting the router, I'm worried it'll be a reoccurring event. And also why the router is syncing happily at 7616kbps but the IP profile is sticking at 4000kpbs. That said, I've decided I'm going to leave the router plugged into the test socket for the full 5 days to see if the IP profile changes in accordance with the sync speed, and I've plugged the base phone into the filter downstairs too so all of the phones now work just fine.

Would having interleaving switched off help at all? I've read it'll help lower latency so long as our line is stable, and from the stats we've always had I would think it should be fine to be switched off. I'm wondering if it would help shift what appears to be the stuck profile though as well. Any ideas?

I wish they'd upgrade our exchange! It's not been touched since 2006. Yet if we lived half a mile in any other direction (Barring south or we'd be in the sea! lol), we'd be on an unbundled exchange frown

Thank you all for your help and suggestions so far, apologies for wasting time by being a pillock!

Edited by ClubLife (Sat 08-Jan-11 21:53:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 22:00:06
Print Post

[re: ClubLife] [link to this post]

If you gently detach the wire on T3 at the master that should certainly help the stabilty of the line and lower the (already low) error rates. Best not to cut it as the next occupant may need it connected.

Unusual for it to be the colour it is, but that doesn't really matter. However, it does raise the question of what are on T2 and T5.

The cable contains twisted pairs, so one pair for instance is Blue/white with, IIRC, a blue one. If T2 has a wire from one pair, and T5 a wire from the other pair, that's bad. T2 and T5 should always be a pair. So what colours are they please?

The screwed up ping could just be some firmware getting messed up in the system. Unless it comes back I should just forget it. What we are hoping is the same "blip" was also holding the profile down.

I would say from the stats you have posted you would be fine with interleaving switched off. On Fast Path you would probably also sync at 8128kbps instead of 7616kbps.

I have a feeling turning it off triggers a DSLAM reset, so could indeed cause the profile to rise, but the reset would be the reason, not the Fast Path itself. A sync rise to 8128 should also trigger a 7150 profile which is another stimulus to the system.

As for what you called yourself, indeed tongue. I have never made a silly mistake about anything ever in my long life tongue tongue ! [cough] [choke].

Seriously, why should you have known that? It's obvious once you know, but you were looking for and thinking about something else. Don't worry about it.

Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Sat 08-Jan-11 22:15:50
Print Post

That would be excellent if it would increase the sync speed even more so, and hopefully force the profile to 'unstick' so to speak. The ping since the restart of the router has astonished me, it's now down to around ~26ms, if turning interleaving off would improve that, I'll look forward to getting my PS3 back from Coventry lol! I'll wait until the 5 days are up before doing anything regarding that though.

The cables in each terminal are as follows:
Master Socket

T2 = Dark Blue w/ White Stripe
T3 = White w/ Green Stripe
T4 = Nothing
T5 = Orange w/ White Stripe

Extension 1 (Lounge)

T1 = Nothing
T4 = Nothing
T6 = Nothing

Extension 2 (Master Bedroom)

T1 = Nothing
T4 = Nothing
T6 = Nothing

So is it definately safe to remove the cable from T3? Just out of curiosity, what does T3 do? Is that the elusive bell wire everyone talks about?

Haha, thanks for the reassurance wink I'm usually quite a logical thinker and a stickler for detail, but I surpassed myself with that one! We're all human though smile

Edit: I just had a thought and went to double-check. The wire in T3 on the master socket looks more White w/ blue stripe, but on the others looks more like a green stripe (Perhaps I'm slightly colour blind?! lol). Which would lead me to think the wire in T3 should be in T5, and the wire in T5 should be in T3 (Which could then be removed)? Although surely the telephone line nor broadband would work correctly if they'd been put in the wrong terminals?

Edited by ClubLife (Sat 08-Jan-11 22:23:35)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 22:57:06
Print Post

I'd take another look in daylight at the colours re T3.

As for T2 and T5, my knowledge is limited but I think what you have there is split pairs. In other words Blue/white and White/blue is a pair, and Orange/white White/orange is a pair.

The wires in each pair are twisted round each other, and this reduces interference. You seem to have one wire from one pair and one from another pair. Works, but not ideal.

With luck someone with more knowledge will confirm that or say I'm wrong.

T3 is indeed the ring/bell wire terminal. T2 and T5 are the signal terminals. No way should T2 or T5 be connected to T3.

Bedtime for me smile.

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sun 09-Jan-11 00:12:19
Print Post

it is indeed split.

ill tell you to sort it tom

night

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to