User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sun 09-Jan-11 11:22:43
Print Post

Re: Insanely High Ping & Suspected Stuck bRAS Profile

[re: ClubLife] [link to this post]

dis all the wires of for the extensions. at the faceplate and all extension sockets.

goto b and q and buy there little disposable krone tool, youll find it in the electrical section next to the phone stuff.

then pick out pair one, the blue/white, terminate this on 2 and 5 on the faceplate of the nte then at the sockets. only 2 and 5 though.

if you get stuck 5 seconds on google will find you how to terminate the sockets, then hey presto your internal is sorted.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Jan-11 12:43:38
Print Post

Krone/IDC tools look like this, so you know what you are looking for.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Sun 09-Jan-11 16:25:30
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

So I only need to remove the bottom half of the master socket, then connect the cables at the terminals on the back of the piece which comes away? Or do I need to remove the next bit of the socket as well to get right behind the master socket? (I thought you weren't allowed to go further than the removable bottom section of the faceplate?)

I've been and picked up a krone tool from B&Q, bit more expensive for a flimsy piece of plastic than I expected, but I'll invest in a proper one online.

When you say pick out pair one, I'm slightly confused. There is a dark blue cable with small white dots/stripes about every 2 inches along it which is in terminal 2 on every socket. Then there is the white cable with blue dots/stripes about every 2 inches along it which is in terminal 3 of every socket. Are they pair one? And if so, does it matter which one goes in T2 and which one goes in T5?

Am I ok to completely remove the orange cable with white dots/stripes along it every 2 inches or so from T5 on every socket? Or just the master socket?

I'm just waiting for the camera battery to charge so I can show you exactly what I'm working with, as I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I start fiddling tongue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Jan-11 16:48:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by ClubLife:
So I only need to remove the bottom half of the master socket, then connect the cables at the terminals on the back of the piece which comes away?
Yes.
Or do I need to remove the next bit of the socket as well to get right behind the master socket? (I thought you weren't allowed to go further than the removable bottom section of the faceplate?)
Don't go there. You are right, not allowed.
I've been and picked up a krone tool from B&Q, bit more expensive for a flimsy piece of plastic than I expected, but I'll invest in a proper one online.
That should be fine for occasional use.
When you say pick out pair one, I'm slightly confused. There is a dark blue cable with small white dots/stripes about every 2 inches along it which is in terminal 2 on every socket. Then there is the white cable with blue dots/stripes about every 2 inches along it which is in terminal 3 of every socket. Are they pair one? And if so, does it matter which one goes in T2 and which one goes in T5?
Great. Leave T2 connections as they are. Gently remove the connections in T3 and T5 at all sockets. Connect the White with blue to T5 at all sockets - you should of course have all extensions coming direct to the master, but if one is daisy-chained off another do the same. Remember - do not strip any insulation off the wires, just push an insulated part in with the krone tool and let it cut through the insulation. If you have stripped bits already I suggest you snip them off, so the bare wires can't touch anything else.
Am I ok to completely remove the orange cable with white dots/stripes along it every 2 inches or so from T5 on every socket? Or just the master socket?
Disconnect and just leave neatly curled, not connected to or touching anything. At all sockets.
I'm just waiting for the camera battery to charge so I can show you exactly what I'm working with, as I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I start fiddling tongue
Good idea. It is worth letting andy see some pics of each socket just to confirm.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 09-Jan-11 16:52:34)

Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Sun 09-Jan-11 16:49:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers for the pic! I can't believe the price they charge in B&Q and Maplins. I ended up paying £2.18 for a cheap plastic one which goes for 50p online frown I think I'll take it back after I'm done with it and pick up a professional one for future fiddling for the same price on ebay! Amazingly enough, the 'professional' ones retail for £17.99 in B&Q *shakes head in disgust* lol.

I honestly hate buying things in stores these days, but I guess that's what they rely on, people needing them NOW instead of in a few days time. Oh well! /rant tongue
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Jan-11 16:57:07
Print Post

Cheers for the pic! I can't believe the price they charge in B&Q and Maplins. I ended up paying £2.18 for a cheap plastic one which goes for 50p online frown I think I'll take it back after I'm done with it and pick up a professional one for future fiddling for the same price on ebay! Amazingly enough, the 'professional' ones retail for £17.99 in B&Q *shakes head in disgust* lol.

I honestly hate buying things in stores these days, but I guess that's what they rely on, people needing them NOW instead of in a few days time. Oh well! /rant tongue
See the professional one on the same site.

(If you have already read my reply to your latest questions on the wiring, make sure you have seen the ending I have added to a paragraph - starts with "Remember").

Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Sun 09-Jan-11 17:35:30
Print Post

Thanks for your speedy reply RobertoS!

Here's the pictures:

Master Socket
Extension 1 (Lounge)
Extension 2 (Master Bedroom)

Is there any reason they seem to have doubled the cable over on the extension in the lounge, and put two bits of each cable into each terminal? Does it matter if I don't do that when I move it to T5?

Edited by ClubLife (Sun 09-Jan-11 17:56:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Jan-11 17:50:16
Print Post

The lounge pic doesn't fully load for me, just gets as far as half-way down the knot{?) near the top, but it looks to me as though the bedroom is daisy-chained off it.

If you look at the master there is only one extension. So I reckon that goes to the lounge, and the second set in the lounge, (surely it is cut, not doubled over?) goes to the bedroom.

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sun 09-Jan-11 17:56:35
Print Post

Thanks for your speedy reply RobertoS!

Here's the pictures:

Master Socket
Extension 1 (Lounge)
Extension 2 (Master Bedroom)

Is there any reason they seem to have doubled the cable over on the extension in the lounge, and put two bits of each cable into each terminal? Does it matter if I don't do that when I move it to T5?

the reason there are two on the lounge is that is the first in the chain, you have a feed from the nte and a feed to the last extension, this is perfectly normal.

disconnect all the wires, then pick out the blue with white and white with blue. this is pair one, these have to be terminated on 2 and 5 at every connection.

do not twist the remaining wires around the cable as i believe this can act like a filter which is not what you want, just twist them together and leave them sitting in the socket but not touching anything.

what you will be left with is 2 wires connected and the other four neatly tucked away. it does not get more technical than that my friend.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Sun 09-Jan-11 18:03:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The lounge pic doesn't fully load for me, just gets as far as half-way down the knot{?) near the top, but it looks to me as though the bedroom is daisy-chained off it.

Hmm odd, it was working for me. I've just re-uploaded the image and updated the link.
If you look at the master there is only one extension. So I reckon that goes to the lounge, and the second set in the lounge, (surely it is cut, not doubled over?) goes to the bedroom.

How do you tell that there's only one extension on the master? Is it because there's only one set of terminals?

I just double-checked the lounge extension, and you're correct. They are cut, and not doubled over (The lighting is quite dull in there tongue) So it would make sense that the route it follows is: master -> lounge extension -> master bedroom extension.

So all I need to do is work from the master -> lounge -> bedroom, ensuring the same cable is in each T2 & T5, removing the bell wire in T3 on all of them and it's sorted?

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of having matching pairs in T2 & T5, and what will it improve, if anything? (I like to know why I'm doing something so I can pass on my learnings to others later down the line tongue)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to